Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Setback on Viking

Have questions about setting up your boat? Engine height, setback, prop, etc.

Topic Author
silkeysak
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Setback on Viking

OK guys, you know I'm running a 225 looper on my Viking. I've got a 7" setback jackplate. With a 28 pitch Raker reworked with full cup, running even with the pad I'm only getting 5000 rpm. Motor compression is 110 across the board and I know it's running strong. I only get about a foot of rooster, so I feel like I'm getting too much water to the prop at that setback. I am considering altering my jackplate down to four inces of setback. When I run high with the 7" I get too much porpoise that doesn't go away till about 60 mph. I am thinking that with this heavy looper, I should get closer to the transom to get the wheel to spin. Right now I'm getting low 80's at 5000 rpm, and I know this setup should do better than that. Tell me what you think, PLEASE.

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Re: Setback on Viking

I would go with 4" if you can due to the weight of the motor. As far as the rooster tail less is better. If your shooting a rooster tail taller than the motor while at speed you most likely are over trimming, or need more setback. What is happening is the propshaft is basically pointed at a upward angle rather than parallel with the water causing wasted thrust.

Before you change setback try raising the motor a bit. I haven't done any testing on my vking yet but have heard of people running as high as 2" above the pad. Although the raker might not like running that high but it's worth a try before changing jackplates.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Topic Author
silkeysak
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

I appreciate your reply. I have run very tight to the transom with an 18' action marine with a similar prop. While most people don't think so, a through hub prop has better stability than an over hub. You are right about the rooster, but I should be seeing around motor high with the prop/setup that I have. When I have nothing, I feel like the prop is buried. I would stay with the 7" setback and run higher, but the ride is horrible at less than 60 mph. If I go closer to the transom, I feel like I could get the same result, running even with the pad, without the negative effects. I have run Checkmates (16') and Action Marine (18') with the motor tight to the transom and had none of these problems. The guys at Scream and f
Fly were not much help, so I decided to put this issue to the Forum. This Raker has been worked properly (full cup), and I think it will perform well running high. I previously had a Hooter reworked the same way that out performed choppers. My problem is that at 7" setback I'm getting too much water to the prop. I'm going to modify this jackplate so that I can move in to 4" set back or back out to 7" if it doesn't. I think this is one of those times you have to go with your gut feeling on your particular boat. Setting a boat up right is a lot of trial and error. I will keep you guys posted on what happens, so you can benefit from my mistakes or success. If anyone has any experience to offer, I would greatly appreciate it.

RussF
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

Im have a 4" on my Stream(VKing)

p man
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

I run 6" of setback and have so far run my best speeds with the p/s even with the pad. Haven't tried any higher yet.

Topic Author
silkeysak
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

It seems everyone here is running less than I am. I will be modifying the jackplate today and see what happens. Thanks again.

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post