Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

tabs

Have questions about setting up your boat? Engine height, setback, prop, etc.

Topic Author
81vector
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Re: tabs

No problem im sure if I play with them more I could give alot more info but they were easy to take off I just left the hinge on the boat so when I feel like getting serious about racing again which is only about once a year I get them dialed in to were I would like them better for all around boating im already wanting more power lol

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
81 vector 2.4 225

braq
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Hi 81vector (and all others),

would you think that the only version is the angled type (called mobsters at Nauticus) for the typical hydrostream hull or is it worthwhile trying the flat type (all of their other versions)?

And if you had been playing with them more in between I'd love to hear updates about it,

cheers

braq
Navigare necesse est, vivere non necesse est

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Actually I was meaning to post on here. I tried one late in the season but I did it a little different and only put one on the port side to try and level off my launch. I can feel it back there but it doesn't seam to bother anything at speed. I did mount mine higher than normal and directly to the transom. I will be trying one further out on the side with a solid strut and see what that does, remember that I'm not using the boat for normal recreational use.
Last edited by 77viper on Oct 11, 2011 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Topic Author
81vector
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Well I took them off and never did put them back on and im not sure about the other kind of tabs the monster tabs where really the only ones I checked on and the rep told me that I needed the angled tabs for my vector bc of the shape of the transom being flat and then angled on the sides on another hand we still have nice weather down here in Arkansas (GO HOGS) and the river I run on (white river) is better now than it was all boating season as for sandbars being out so hopefully I will get some more testing in before I put the vector up for the winter if so I will do my best to get some information on here

81 vector 2.4 225

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qW52bzIZ0M[/youtube]
As you can see it does move quite a bit, I'm thinking a heavier shock might help.

This is what I'm trying to prevent.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u0Of9eQFQk[/youtube]
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

braq
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Aha!

those tabs are interesting. Instead of just providing a fixed trim angle, they probably are like the spring and shock arrangement on our cars (can one of you two confirm that?) In their website video they claim it will push the tab down with a certain force (that is why you pick the tab by hull size and HP) and I assume there is also a damping element (ever tried to move the tab, what is the force to do so, any difference between quick and slow movement????).

Back to the original question, do you think it would only be feasible with the angled type or can you find a location on the hull where they can be mounted just plain (horizontally). I am asking because I cannot imagine that the angle and actual width of the tab fits "perfectly" onto the stepped Hydrostream hull, so it is already a compromise (away from the theoretical elongation of the hull by means of the tabs).

Love the camera perspective on the trim tab video!

Cheers
Braq
Navigare necesse est, vivere non necesse est

Topic Author
81vector
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Yes they are like a shock and you can lift them up and you can also change the amount of force it takes to lift them by changing to a different holes where the shock mounts to the tab that is how the mobster tabs work. With the shape of the angled tabs and having them mounted just past the transom where the hull starts to angle forward the back of the tabs line up with the transom pretty good but I would like to do more testing with mine to see where they should be placed for best performance I will try and get a better picture of how i have mine mounted I don't know if its the best place to have them mounted or not but I thought it looked like a good place to start so that's where I carefully placed them

81 vector 2.4 225

Topic Author
81vector
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

A closer look

Attachments
Here is how I have my angled tabs mounted hope this helps you
Here is how I have my angled tabs mounted hope this helps you
101211212354.jpg (209.46 KiB) Viewed 5106 times
81 vector 2.4 225

Topic Author
81vector
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Other side

Attachments
101211214845.jpg
101211214845.jpg (116.23 KiB) Viewed 5105 times
81 vector 2.4 225

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

dang I lust lost a post.

That is a better place to mount them than on the transom. I have only used them once in clean water and that was also the first time using a prop that I had balanced. I noticed rpm's were up 300 and speed was down 3-4mph I had thought the shop took some pitch out of it but after looking at the vid I can see the tab was causing disturbance in the water causing the prop slip to go up.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post