Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Vector 115 hp prop set up

Have questions about setting up your boat? Engine height, setback, prop, etc.

Topic Author
Apollo
The new guy
The new guy

Vector 115 hp prop set up

I have a refurbished 1975 Vector in super condition. I just bought it and have no experience with small speed boats. It will be towed around like a dinghy behind my older Trojan F44 on Georgian Bay.
We just installed a Hijacker brand hydraulic motorized jack plate with 10 inches of set back. I have a 2005 Mercury 115 hp Classic model (andard 2 stroke 4 cyl) outboard.

what is the best prop choice- chopper, laser, laser 11, standard, cleaver and what pitch.

Tonight I tried my standard stainless steel Mercury 3 blade 14 1/2 by 25" pitch.The boat hit 60 mph (GPS) with 2 people on board. The engine was redlined and 55oo rpm. With the boat optimally trimmed for speed it occasionally took an abrupt and major dive to the right which dd not not seem to be very safe. jThe prop seemed really wrong.

some people tell me a 5 blade bass boat prop would be best, others say a cleaver or chopper. I've also haeard that a Laser 11 is best.

What do you recommend and what pitch.

Apollo
Attachments
012911 021.jpg
012911 021.jpg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 5359 times

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Re: Vector 115 hp prop set up

Welcome to the forum.

The prop you choose will depend on what you plan on doing with the boat and how much weight you have on the boat. Cleaversi

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Dang phone. Cleavers are usually used for top end with minimal weight. The high five is a good ski prop with stump pulling low end. Choppers are a good all around prop as long as you don't have a lot of weight in the boat.

With a small performance boat set up is key.10" of setback is too much, 2-5 is optimal. Dual cable steering, might also be a good investment. As is a water pressure gauge so you know how high you can run the motor.

When you went through the hull dir you inspect the core?

I love the colors.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Topic Author
Apollo
The new guy
The new guy

The core seems fine. we did did check the hull with a moisture meter.

When you say 10" is too much that';s a little disappointing as we already have the hi jacker installed. what happens when you have too much set back? Any solutions or is this really the wrong jack plate?

We will be using this boat generally with a light load 1-2 people. It will not be used for skiing, wake boarding etc. so sounds like the 5 blade is not the best for my use.

Topic Author
Apollo
The new guy
The new guy

I do have a water poressure gauge installed.

Topic Author
Apollo
The new guy
The new guy

maybe a chopper is best. any idea as to pitch? What about a Laser 11?

jacklake2003
Regular
Regular

I have a Laser II on the way for my Viper. I should be able to get out and test it this weekedn (if it gets here by then). I'll let you know how it works. - Chris

Rut311969
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Welcome nice boat .Have you read any of the info avlbe at hydrostream history and performance I have a 200on my Vector and they are quite a handful hopefuly you and your passenger are close in weight .I took a friend out and he is about 25-30 pounds heavier and it made the boat very ill handeling wanting to fall to one side and very unprodictable .Thankfully my friend that usualy goes out with me is same weight as me .And as I was told when I got my first pad boat seat time seat time .Im no where as good as Viper 77 but deffently not as freaked as the first ride in my Valero when it started to chine walk at 70 I got out of it to fast and it chined worse and scared sh$t out of me but now that I have some seat time not scary just fun fun fun . So again Welcome and ask away . Is your trailer to short looks short in pics alot of boat hanging past bunks just dont want to see ya trash the transom .

Topic Author
Apollo
The new guy
The new guy

The photo was taken the day I picked up the boat in january. since then I have moved the tongue forward. The boat is in the water all season. This fall I will store it directly on blocks in my garage.

I read the Vector history and all the comments about the angle of the pad or hook increasing over the years as more and more boats were built. As per my serial number the boat is a 1975. The pad lokks unaltered and has only a very slight hook so hopefully it is okay.

I normally will be in the boat by myself 185 ibs and with my wife 130 lbs. The fuel tank is 15 gallons located on left (port) side underneath and beside motor well. Battery is presently on right side. I plan to carry a 5 gallon spare can in the bow under foredeck.

Any ideas on propping and jack plate situation would be appreciated. Has anyone got an early Vector with a recent 115 hp
engine. I know from reading this forum that you can put much larger engines on these boats and reach higher speeds. I am looking for all round cruising performance and most of the time will be running at 30-50 mph. I was hoping to be able to safely top out at 65mph with one person on board.

Interested in hearing about the Laser II. Is my 10" jack plate a problem?

Does anyone

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

As far as your jackplate being a problem, it might cause the boat to porpus due to the weight of the motor being further back on the transom but I guess I would try it before I changed it.

Where are you from? If you can get with someone close by and try a couple props you can save some headache of buying and selling....or not selling a bunch of props, I have a tendency of buying and mounting on my wall. I have never ran a laser 2 on a performance hull but it sounds like Jacklake has one coming, I would hold off on buying until you hear how it works for him. A vector and viper will handle real close to the same.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post