Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Vandal out of control HELP !!!

Have questions about setting up your boat? Engine height, setback, prop, etc.

Topic Author
rooster
The new guy
The new guy

Vandal out of control HELP !!!

78 vandal with 200 merc with lwp had 5inch setback could run 70,s but got out of control
Put a 21/2 setback on now I can't go 40 with it going crazy how far above pad should I be or any other advise .

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Re: Vandal out of control HELP !!!

What is it doing now as far as rpms? I would start 1" below and work up from there.

Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Topic Author
rooster
The new guy
The new guy

Can't even get to rpms . Viper 77 do you have the 300 on yours I put this 21/2 jackplate on your advise. I can't get it to go high enough to go above the pad

Sonik
Regular
Regular

I saw the start of your other thread on this boat and if these questions have been asked, I apologize for asking again. Do you have solid motor mounts??? Do you have a TIGHT dual cable or hydraulic steering setup??? Is the boat balanced port to starboard?? If the answer is no to any of these questions, then propshaft height adjustments will never solve your handling problems. A vandal is shorter, narrower, and more *** heavy with a V6 than a Viper is and my boat is finicky as hell with regards to the rigging and weight placement. 15lbs off center in my boat will make it almost undrivable over 75mph. Give us some more info. :up:

P.S. Chet (77Viper) runs a modded 2.4 with squeeze....which is where the 300+hp reference comes from.

1976 Hydrostream Viper - 2.5 EFI

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Ok so its because of the handling you can't go over 40.

Do you have solid motor mounts? What steering do you have? How much seat time do you have on a b-pad boat.

Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Sonic beat me to it this time.

Like he said I'm running a 2.4 and set up is critical but seat time is needed in order to learn to drive these boats.

Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Rut311969
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Amen to what 77Viper and Sonic said weight is crucial and seat time a must my Vector with 200hp is a handfull so your Vandel must be nuts especialy if you dont have solid mounts or daul steering .Sonic and Viper no what they are talking about search for hydrostream videos on the forum and you can see them both in action :up:

silkeysak
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

I have also had a handful with the Viking. I have tried different heights, and for me that was the critical point. I get good handling at 1/2" below the pad. Any higher and at WOT it's almost not drivable. I have to agree with starting 1" below the pad and work your way up. Even 1/8" can make a difference.

Topic Author
rooster
The new guy
The new guy

i have hydraulic steering solid mounts and seat time. sounds like the balance might be the answer.

Sonik
Regular
Regular

rooster wrote:i have hydraulic steering solid mounts and seat time. sounds like the balance might be the answer.

Balance and weight placement(where feasible), is definitely key. Is your boat side or center steer??? If it is side, then driver weight needs to be countered by stacking in the port rear the battery, trim pump, offset fuel tank, etc etc.....whatever it takes to get it close. When my boat was recored, I stuck the 6 gal removable tanks together in the center of the boat between the knees, as opposed to having them spread 14" apart (and on shelves)to accomodate for the battery in between(which is how it was originally built). I run a red top Optima stuffed as far back in the port wing as it will go and have a soft-side toolbag with misc hand tools that weighs 18-20 lbs on average sitting right in front of the battery. I run a triple ram midsection so theres no pump in the boat. And with this setup it runs straight and level unless I empty the port fuel tank first then its none too happy. AAAAAAAANYways, you get my point. Jack the boat up off the trailer bunks with a small section of 2x8 lengthwise on the pad....an inch or so off the bunks is enough. Sit in the boat and have a buddy start moving some known weight around in the boat until it will balance on the pad then adjust your rigging if possible to compensate permanently.

The method is far from scientific or super accurate, but it will get you close enough to realize what the boat needs.

Here's another question....what type of gearcase are you running?? Type of cone?? does it have a torque tab??? If so, how big is it?? Is it too much or not enough?? A tab is pretty important on a boat as small and as light as a vandal IMO. You can negate alot if not most of the gearcase crabbing through the water with a good tab. Try finding your true perpendicular (steering center) of your case to your hull and mark your steering wheel at the 12 o'clock position. Then go run the boat and see where your tape line ends up. This should give you an idea if the case is tracking straight. Another thing to keep in mind, the higher you jack the motor up, the more "paddlewheel" or "prop walk" effect you may experience depending on the type of prop you run.

I'm just throwing stuff out there for you to play around with and experiment with. :up:

Jeff

1976 Hydrostream Viper - 2.5 EFI

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post