Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Steering System

Have questions about setting up your boat? Engine height, setback, prop, etc.

Topic Author
pnorton
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Steering System

Hey Everybody,

So some of you may know i've got my 19ft J project on the go. Exciting news is that I get to go pick her up on friday and take her out for the first time in about a decade for a rip! Can't wait. The steering system that is on there now is only a single cable system. Obviously I would like to upgrade this for next year but I am not sure as to what I should be looking for. I am going to be using this boat for skiing as well as a boat for myself to rip around in. Should I be looking hydraulic or dual cable? Anything guidance would be great!

Thanks!

Patrick

Image Image

VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Re: Steering System

If it's for skiing and running around I would recommend the Teleflex Dual 4.2 Rotary Steering. Price was a lot less then the hydraulic setups. Someone chime in here and tell us all why the extra expense is worth it for a recreational boat.. Bill. :?:

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

It's all about the bling Bill. I have hyd. steering in my vegas and viper and absolutely love it, I can take my hands off the wheel at 75 "not recommended". There is quite a price difference and only you can say if it's worth it.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Topic Author
pnorton
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Does it make it easier to steer? We have a 1992 skeeter with a 200 merc EFI on it and it can be a bit of a pain to steer sometimes. It likes to steer right way easier than left.

Image Image

Sonik
Regular
Regular

A Hydraulic steering setup isolates the torque from the driver but I assure you, its still there. Steering effort is minimal with hydraulic. Some guys swear by it, some guys hate it. The best way to mitigate steering torque and help your gearcase track straight through the water is to run a torque tab on the trailing edge of the skeg. Some high performance cases have these built in like the sportmaster for example.

The difference in difficulty between turning right and turning left is caused by prop torque. The prop paddle wheels and wanted to turn the motor to starboard (on RH setups) so you feel that when turning to port under power. The paddlewheel effect increases as you raise you propshaft height and have less gearcase in the water to provide directional stability.

I run a dual opposed cable steering system in my boat with a tab and have no problems turning to port under power. There will always be a difference in steering effort with power applied, but it all varies based on the size of the tab and the type of prop you are running. Some props make life much more challenging than others by introducing additional torque on the steering system.

Jeff

1976 Hydrostream Viper - 2.5 EFI

silkeysak
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Here's a link that might offer you a better choice on dual opposed rack & pinion
http://marine-steer.com/imstxxft.htm

S P E E D
Regular
Regular

Hey Norton! I had a Sea Star Hydraulic Pro on my 19 J-Craft. I loved it so much I took the Teleflex NFB Rack off my Vision and put the Sea Star Hydraulic Pro setup on it. Like Chet says, I also can take my hands off the wheel at 75 plus and it goes straight as an arrow
1993 Hydrostream Vision aka Project "HydroSCREAM" SOLD
1979 J-Craft Pro Ski SOLD

Topic Author
pnorton
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Yea Im thinking hydrualic now... now only to save up some money lol. On the plus side I went to the parts desk at my powersports canada store and I can order a seastar system out of there.... lol below retail :boating: :up:

Image Image

S P E E D
Regular
Regular

I'm in for another! I think my old man and I just bought another J-Craft today. Another 19 Footer with a Black Max Merc on it. I would be in for a group buy Norton ;)
1993 Hydrostream Vision aka Project "HydroSCREAM" SOLD
1979 J-Craft Pro Ski SOLD

Topic Author
pnorton
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

hahah we are going to have quite the collection when were done! Can't wait to see my baby so sooon! tomorrow i get to pick her up! so exciting!

In terms of steering im not sure what Ill be doing quite yet... if im going to do it this year or next but ill let you know!

Image Image

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post