Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Vision w/200 Merc EFI

Have questions about setting up your boat? Engine height, setback, prop, etc.

Topic Author
idvette
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Vision w/200 Merc EFI

I'm pretty sure I know what needs improvement in my setup, just wanted to run it by people who know better than I do. I have an '88 Vision with a '91 2.4l XRi EFI, no jack plate, low water pickup, torque tab, 30" pitch ss Quicksilver 3 blade, motor is 3.5" below the pad. Porpoising is quite annoying over 30mph, chine walk seems excessive over 60mph. My plan of attack is to get a smaller pitch 4 blade cleaver and a jack plate to raise the motor. Previous owner said he had it up to 86mph, took me out on a rough day and we hit 77, but he was really fighting the steering wheel.... I know chine walk needs input to control it, but he was really cranking on it to keep it running. Just hoping I can tame this beast with a better setup before I leard to drive it set up wrong. What amount of setback should I use? Is a 26" 4 blade cleaver a good idea, or should I be looking at something else? Will these improvements make it come out of the hole reasonably enough to pull a skiier/tube? I don't need to run big numbers just yet, I'd like to get comfortable with the hull and have some fun. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!
1988 Canadian Edition Vision Sold
1990 Hydrostream Virage Stage 3 Turbo

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Re: Vision w/200 Merc EFI

Welcome to the forum. A cleaver is not a good all around prop, more top end. I would try a 28 chopper and a 26 trophy for pulling. Make sure you have all your safty stuff on when learning to drive on the pad.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Topic Author
idvette
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Absolutely, always have safety gear in place.... What about setback and height, am I on the right track there?

Sonik
Regular
Regular

Setback on that boat will be somewhere between 2.5" -6" depending on weight, rigging, and prop. I agree with Chet on the prop choices although I have recently taken to the Mercury ET props as they suit my driving style and my boat seems to like them alot. You said you are running the propshaft 3-3.5" below and that is the source of you ill handling. When I started with mine I was 2" below and the more I raised it, the better its manners became. Currently I'm 1/2" above with 2.5" of setback but I need to go higher. If I were in your shoes, I'd go with a Bobs convertible jackplate set @ 2.5" setback and start 1/2"-3/4" below and start raising until you lose bow lift or water pressure, whichever comes first. Keep in mind the higher you jack the motor up, the less you have in the water...and the manners of the boat change really quick. Make one change at a time so you have an idea what is working and what isn't.

A 200 on that boat will require you to be on your game and get some seat time to figure out what it wants. To put things into perspective, I'm running low 80's with a 2.0 liter 150.....your boat will be capable of speeds upwards of 90 when set up properly, so take your time and be safe. When its right, you won't have to saw at the wheel to keep it on the pad. Balance is important as well. If you are heavy to port or starboard, the boat will want to fall off the pad, compounding your driving problems. Solid mounts, a properly adjusted dual cable or hydraulic steering setup, good jacket, killswitch, and some seat time and you'll figure it out. :up:

Jeff

1976 Hydrostream Viper - 2.5 EFI

Topic Author
idvette
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Great info Jeff, thanks a lot! Sounds like motor height is more important than I thought it was, I'll look into a jackplate before I try running this thing hard. It has solid mounts and a tight dual cable steering setup, I didn't mention that earlier. As for the prop, I've heard the Trophy suggestion more than once, sounds like maybe the way to go. Thanks again, and any more ideas out there, keep them coming!

Sonik
Regular
Regular

Make note that Chet mentioned the Trophy for pulling, not top end running. It may work for you given a conservative motor height but from what I've experienced, they typically dont like super high propshaft heights that DO work well with the choppers, SRX's, or ET's, etc. so keep that in mind.

Get that motor up to within 1/2" of the pad and it'll be a whole different animal, I promise you. I eliminated alot of my higher speed wobbles, and mid-range porpoise issues as i kept raising my motor.

Think about it this way, you have the entire gearcase bullet under the surface right now. As the boat rolls off the pad to one side or another, you change the direction and angle of attack of the gearcase at the same time which will upset the boat that much more...as opposed to a case that is riding on top of the water (or really close to it) with only the skeg being drug through the water...much less surface area being affected by pitch/yaw as the boat moves around.

You made no mention of a torque tab on that case either....they are a must or your left arm is going to get huge and you'll never be able to countersteer the boat properly once on the pad.

1976 Hydrostream Viper - 2.5 EFI

Topic Author
idvette
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Well said, easier to get my head around the idea :) I do have a torque tab, yes, I mentioned it in the first post, but easy to miss, as I rambled on instead of itemizing things. The main reason I'm looking for a prop is holeshot. The 30 pitch I have will probably be fantastic for speed runs, but that's not what I want right now. I'd like to have 2 props, one for pulling and one for nuts out running-when I get a feel for the hull. I really appreciate the input folks, thanks a lot!

LSaupe
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

I am running a Trophy and love it. Seems to do all things very well. Very smooth and greatly reduced chinewalk tendancies on my V-King. I am running it 3/4" below.

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post