Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Steering Question

Have questions about setting up your boat? Engine height, setback, prop, etc.

Topic Author
VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Steering Question

I put a new Dual Cable Rotary NFB system on the Vulture, new in August. I noticed it's been sticking and getting harder to steer. I ddin't grease it when I installed it. It had some greeae already on it. Shoould I have added grease? Whats the best way to grease it up be the steering collumn? Bill

p man
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Re: Steering Question

Don't ever 'grease' the cables, that is what causes them to seize. If you haven't already, read up on T-Rex's steering cable luber. It works like a charm.
I have used a full synthetic 10w-30 with great success.

Topic Author
VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Thanks for the response. I was going to do it tomorrow. I'm glad I posted. Bill

p man
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

I just flushed a set of cable that were ready for the garbage. I was amazed how the old grease in them just sits near the motor end and solidifies. They are as good as new now though thanks to advise I've recieved from the boards.
Keep them soaked with oil and I don't see why they should ever fail :up:

Topic Author
VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Is that a thread on here? When entered, what category? How do I find it? Possibly a link? Thanks, Bill

p man
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

I posted this over on fastboatscanada.com:

I had a set of ride guide steering cables that were so siezed I really couldn't even drive my boat. It was to the point that I was almost unable to turn the wheel with one hand at a stand still. Unfortunately these are NLA from Merc. So as a last ditch effort I decided to take T-Rex's idea of a steering luber (http://www.hydrostream.org/ArticleArchives/Luber.htm) and give it a try. In short, this concept uses a compressor to push a cleaning/lubricating agent through the cables.
First let me say, one thing I did differently is I made my system attach at the helm side of the cable. I did this because most of the crap and grease enters the cables from the motor side. There is no use trying to push it all the full length of the cable. So I took a 1/4 air fitting and through the use of a couple of plumbing fittings and 3' of high pressure 5/8" hose had a system that would work.
I first flushed the cables with some wd-40 mixed with acetone and goo-gone. The first cable took about 10 minutes for the mixture to push through. The second took about 4 hours of 100psi and alot of running the cable back and forth under pressure. When it finally broke free I found my problem... hardened grease, and lots of it. Apparently these systems are not supposed to ever be greased but rather lubricated with synthetic gear oil.
I used a full synthetic 10w-30 oil after the wd-40 mix to oil them back up.
A little trick is to pull the grease fitting to give all the grime somewhere to escape from.

As it sits now I can turn my steering system lock to lock with my pinky finger. I was pretty skeptical about this idea when I first got it but honestly it works like magic!

Rut311969
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Glad i caught this thread well be trying this on a stuck one I have that i cant replace . :up:

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good stuff. I have been planing to build that very cable luber. When I do I will post plenty of pictures along the way. Im sure it wont happen until spring time though.
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

Topic Author
VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Great Post - Thanks P Man !!! Bill

jacklake2003
Regular
Regular

Vulture, I wonder if lubrication is your problem. If you installed it as recently as August, I wouldn't think you would be experiencing any negative side-effects from improper lube this soon. It sounds like the cable may be binding somewhere, or something has worked loose. If you haven't already, maybe check everything out really well to ensure all is still assembled properly. -Chris

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post