Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

what prop

Have questions about setting up your boat? Engine height, setback, prop, etc.

Topic Author
hydrostream280
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

what prop

i have a vector with a built 2. 4 200 merc and need to know what prop n type would b better for top end the motor has shaved heads vortec pistions boysen reeds stronger rod bolts bigger carbs and the intake and exhaust ports have been opened up on the block it also has a bobs exhaust tunner and low water pickup with 2to1 gears in the lower unit im currently running a 29p raker on it to break it in ive got it up to 6500rpm with lots of throttle left and backed out because im still breaking it in need to figure out what prop would b better before i goout and start buying props cuz that can get a lil expensive lolz

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

ccrick
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Re: what prop

Jack and nose cone??? Need to know your bells and whistles.
1980 Viking
150 Black Max

Topic Author
hydrostream280
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

4" jackplate and it has a nosecone with low water pickup im running the propshaft half a inch below the pad

ccrick
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Jack it level with the pad and a chopper style prop. Pitch depends on your wot rpm.
1980 Viking
150 Black Max

Topic Author
hydrostream280
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

thats what i was going to do as soon as its broke in good i only burned 12 gallons out of her so far thanks for the advice

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

The gear ratio in the gearcase is going to be a downfall for top end runs. You will need a 32 pitch to get over 100 and anything that tall is going to be few and far between= expensive. If it were my boat I would change the gears out of find another case. A 2-1 case would be fine for short drag races or underpowered boats but this is not the case.

If you can try and meet up with some performance boaters in your area and see if they will let you try out some props, it's a lot cheaper than buying them. In the end you will end up with a couple props for different uses but any performance stuff will be a over hub chopper style or cleaver. Where the weight is balanced in the boat will indicate witch prop will work the best.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Topic Author
hydrostream280
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

ive been trying to fins sum ppl around my area but they dont have 2meny then the 1z they do have wont let you try their props because their scared your boat will b faster then theirs then lol and ive been lookin for a different lower unit but when i find 1 i dont have the money to get it n when i have the money i cant find 1 guess ill just keep looking

Sonik
Regular
Regular

Chopper, SRX or ET is where you want to end up depending on the top speed range. I'm running choppers right now but my boat was always easiest to drive with a 30P ET on it even when the 2.0 XR2 150 was hanging on it. Get propshaft close to even with the pad and then work a prop to your liking.....best way. Keep in mind, a prop that works at 85, may not necessarily work at 95....trust me. I have a beautiful 28 chopper that I have waaaaaaay too much $$$ invested in at the prop shop that worked great with the 150, but now with the 2.5 and higher speeds, it flighty, quirky, unpredictable, and dowright scary.....but fun in a sick twisted kinda way. :mrgreen: As Chet said, lateral balance in a side-steer boat (assuming thats what you're working with) is essential (longitudinal balance as well) or you'll be chasing your tail forever finding a setup and prop that do what you want.

The 2:1 needs to go if you want a top end rig. Its winter time so sell the 2:1 and find a nice 1.87, cone it, and go from there....unless you plan on drag racing 800' or 1000'. :up:

Good luck!

Jeff

1976 Hydrostream Viper - 2.5 EFI

Topic Author
hydrostream280
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

thanks for the advice and my steering is on the right side i just got the boat bout a year ago and ive been building the motor now that its done i plan on setting up the boat to a center steer and the 2 to 1 i had laying around the house so i put it on i plan on changing the gears in it because i need the propshaft n gears for my 2. 0 135 on my other boat i twisted the propshaft pretty bad guess it just couldnt hold up to the pressure of big props n lots of work done to the powerhead ;-)

Sonik
Regular
Regular

It hasn't been said yet but I feel it bears revisiting...as always. Do you know the condition of the core and transom??? If not, speed will not be your friend. Do a little digging and you'll find that a rotten boat will be the quickest way to get hurt. Please don't think I'm stone-throwing or talking down to you or anyone else. I was fortunate and educated myself and found problems before I put the boat in the water with big HP.

1976 Hydrostream Viper - 2.5 EFI

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post