Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

V-King Vibration (OMC-SRX)

Have questions about setting up your boat? Engine height, setback, prop, etc.

Topic Author
LSaupe
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

V-King Vibration (OMC-SRX)

Hey All:

I have a problem that hopefully someone can shed some light on.

I have a V-King with a stock 150 cross-flow on the back. 6" setback and currently 3/4" below the pad.

I started with a 24" Trophy Plus, which ran fabulously, but a bit too high in the RPM band for the old OMC (6,100RPM at 69 MPH). It is an older engine without RPM limiters.

I had a stock 27" SRX on the shelf so thought I would give that a go. What a dissapointment. Tough to get out of the hole, then when it caught, moderate to severe vibration in the mid to upper speed range. Boat ran 65 MPH @ 6,000 RPM. The prop never really felt hooked-up.

I put the Trophy back on and sent the SRX to DAH for a rework. When it came back it was a totally different beast. Nice hole shot and solid feel on plane. Max RPM now at 5,100 @ 70 MPH (a bit lesss than I had hoped for) and the vibration was still there.

With the Trophy I have minimal to no chine walk. With the SRX you need to keep busy.

Have any of you experienced this (the vibration)? From what I had gathered the pad position is good for this HP range on this boat and the SRX is supposed to be one of the better props for this application.

Is this common with an SRX? Anything to try next?

Larry S.

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Re: V-King Vibration (OMC-SRX)

I have a 27 srx from dah and it does have a little vibration but I have only run it twice so I still need to play with motor height.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Topic Author
LSaupe
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

It seems like this is begging for mor engine height. But to do this I will need to drill a few more holes in the jackplate. Having another V-King driver wiith an OMC give a go and see what he observes.

Here is the thread on S&F that has more input. Maybe this behavior is not abnormal just feels real odd here. Definetly not a smooth ride like a Trophy.

ANy thoughts here greatly appreciated.

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1728395&posted=1#post1728395

Larry S.

silkeysak
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Sometimes that vibration is what some call prop slap. It happens when the prop is out running the boat. (not going fast enough for the blade too enter the water cleanly. If you are going slow and you get on it too hard the prop can ventilate (not cavitate) and start slapping, causing a rude vibration. Try getting into your throttle a little easier or if it happens at a steady speed adjust the trim. Unless the prop is whack it is a problem with the angle of entry where the blade enters the water. I've had it happen to me, but usually it was associated with going to slow and trying to accelerate to hard. When you do that two things can happen- slip or slap. JMO. Hope it helps

ccrick
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

May be normal. I know I don't have a jack yet but mine still surfaces. At lower speeds I get vibrations. Under throttle though, they go away. Stick the engine in deep and see if it goes away. remember, chine means your going fast. The less blades on a prop means faster. There was a good article in ihr about this. Not a bad speed with your engine Larry! :up:
1980 Viking
150 Black Max

265mercman
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

i had a chopper 3blade and when it went in to gear made just a tad bit of ginding nose now i got a 4 blade 26 trophy on there and when i put it in gear i get a loud grinding nose thats way worse then the 3 blade chopper was any ideas on that fellows maybe my linkage or is it the rubber balancers in the prop did fine on my 96 xr4 150 but it my xri 200 that its doing it on

steven
79 vector missing in action!!!!!

2006 vking center steer

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post