Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

expecting to much?

Have questions about setting up your boat? Engine height, setback, prop, etc.

Topic Author
steve3340
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

expecting to much?

All re cored and waiting for carpet to come in but couldn't wait. Anyway I'm running a 110hp inline 6 with 8" setback and a 21p prop @ center or pad. Seems to come up on plane slow, then just seems to level out. From picks I've seen of moving streams looks like the nose rides high. Am I expecting to much with just 110hp? I hit 42 MPH on GPS. I do have a 150 marinar magnum II but I don't think I will get that on for a while. Wires chewed by mice, carbs need cleaning, fuel lines and lower unit needs to be fixed. Has a low water nose cone but whoever installed it didn't do a good job. Leaks at seems and where factory water pick up was sealed :(

[ Post made via Android ] Image

aaron78viper
Regular
Regular

Re: expecting to much?

i would say that sounds a little slow. check out that motor. and maybe the fuel?

Topic Author
steve3340
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

She fires right up and prrs like a kitten. I haven't taken a actual compression reading but my uncle who's worked on all types of engines his whole life said it felt really strong. He's built everything from hi performance 2 strokes to Keith blacks in pulling truck who run the circuit. I'm going to clean carbs but other than that I don't know. Has new wires and plugs fresh fuel with some dry gas. It does look like it was rebuilt not to long ago buy the sealant on the block. Eventually it will just be a back up but would like to get it set up good.

aaron78viper
Regular
Regular

steve3340 wrote:She fires right up and prrs like a kitten. I haven't taken a actual compression reading but my uncle who's worked on all types of engines his whole life said it felt really strong. He's built everything from hi performance 2 strokes to Keith blacks in pulling truck who run the circuit. I'm going to clean carbs but other than that I don't know. Has new wires and plugs fresh fuel with some dry gas. It does look like it was rebuilt not to long ago buy the sealant on the block. Eventually it will just be a back up but would like to get it set up good.

hows the oil mixture??

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

What year ad make is it? Where is the final timing set at?
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Surface Scratcher
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Congrats on the recore. You must feel great! :up:

Let me throw out a few thoughts about what you said above. I'm guessing that your 110 hp inline 6 is rated (for horsepower) at the crank shaft. That gives you about 90hp at the prop. Your boat, with a 19in regular prop, motor bolted to the transom, should take you to the low forties. A 21inch to near fifty mph, so there is more speed there.

I would, and I do, regularly check my compression. It takes twenty minutes and gives me peace of mind to know that nothing major is wrong. :roll:

I didn't catch what rpm you're running, but if your turning about 5500, your prop is slipping way to much.

So, please post your rpm and tell us about your prop. :up: :D

Topic Author
steve3340
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

It a old merc thunderbolt ignition. Haven't checked timing or compression I have my kids this weekend but will do Monday or Tuesday night. It has a 21inch pitch prop , Rpm is a problem. I guess these old ignitions need the correct tachometer. I tried a couple 3 wire tachs and they won't work.so going by ear.

Topic Author
steve3340
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Doing some research and found out if I switch the brown wire on this old merc to a yellow wire off the rectifier a new tachs should work. Does this sound correct to anyone? I will try it. I know without really knowing the rs its hard to determine whats going on. Also it was only me @ 190# my two kids130# and 6 gallons of gas so it wasn't like I had a lot of weight in it. Hopefully I can get out Tuesday with a working tach.

Topic Author
steve3340
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Well I cleaned carbs didn't seem to change much. Motor is a 1967 merc thunerbolt1100 with a Aluminum 21 pitch running at 5,000 rpm maybe a little over. Still only 41 MPH. Without spending some $ on different prop I decided to work on the 150 Mariner. Fixed the wires mice chewed and cleaned carbs last weekend new water pump but won't have time to put it on for a couple weeks:(. It has a 23 pitch aluminum on it is this a good place to start? There is a few stainless on Cl close by from 21 p- 28p for reasonable $.

transomstand
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

What model boat?
transomstand
Original owner 1975 Ventura II SE

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post