Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Prop Slip Calculator Question

Have questions about setting up your boat? Engine height, setback, prop, etc.

Topic Author
idvette
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Prop Slip Calculator Question

I was doing a little "bench" testing with my setup. Through 1.87 gears, a 30 pitch prop with engine RPMs at 7000 one would theoretically be running 106 mph. Factor in 10 percent prop slip and it's still well into the nineties. Is that what I could expect from my boat? How accurate are these calculators, and what's considered acceptable slippage? What factors affect slippage? Not a chance of me seeing those speeds any time soon, just curious what she's actually capable of, real world. 7000 rpm may be a little ambitious as well, the fastest I've turned the motor so far (besides trying to get up on plane) is about 5500, as my steering locks up and I don't have the stones to try to go faster with no steering lol

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
1988 Canadian Edition Vision Sold
1990 Hydrostream Virage Stage 3 Turbo

transomstand
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Re: Prop Slip Calculator Question

Prop slip calculations are a tool to see where you stand, and to measure improvement in your setup, BUT, all slip calculations are "theoretical". I rarely use one, and can't tell you what my current prop slip even is.

I use an alternate method....If I put up a big number on the GPS, prop slip is "good", if I get a low number, prop slip is "bad" :)
transomstand
Original owner 1975 Ventura II SE

silkeysak
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

transomstand wrote:Prop slip calculations are a tool to see where you stand, and to measure improvement in your setup, BUT, all slip calculations are "theoretical". I rarely use one, and can't tell you what my current prop slip even is.

I use an alternate method....If I put up a big number on the GPS, prop slip is "good", if I get a low number, prop slip is "bad" :)
Great answer! :lol:
To reduce slip you can add cupping, but it also increases "theoretical" pitch, using the esteemed" transomstands" terminology. I also bet he knows exactly what his slip is. It's how far you slide on the boat ramp! It also sounds like you have no feedback steering, causing the "lockup". Get rid of it, and your stones will get instantly larger!

Topic Author
idvette
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

I have a ride guide setup on it's way, probably won't be installed until next year, so I'm keeping the speeds down until then. Just going to play with it, get a good feel for the hull, then hopefully when I really lay the sauce to her I'll already have an idea as to what she'll do lol.... I did see somewhere around 80mph a few weekends ago, I saw the speedo sweep past 70 and I still had my foot in it for another few seconds. The boat handled great, but since I couldn't steer, or correct if I got into trouble, I backed out. I was watching the lake more than the guages at that point. The amount of throttle I had left really got me wondering what the boat actually was capable of. I know the speedo isn't the most accurate, I should get a GPS, but it had me pretty excited over what may be....

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
1988 Canadian Edition Vision Sold
1990 Hydrostream Virage Stage 3 Turbo

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post