Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

v4 rigging on a viper

Have questions about setting up your boat? Engine height, setback, prop, etc.

Topic Author
tommy
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

v4 rigging on a viper

hi guys i need some info on viper set up. i have a 1980 viper with a 1984 omc 140. i am turning a 23 pitch merc laser2 prop 5800 rpms, for a top speed of 56 mph on radar,i am using a 4'' setback jack plate with the propshaft 4'' under the pad, any higher and the prop slips to much. any suggestions on a good prop to try.

Surface Scratcher
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Re: v4 rigging on a viper

Welcome,

You didn't mention if you had a low water pickup. If not, that's where you should spend your next money. Then you can raise your motor, and run surfacing props. I'll let someone with Viper experience recommend which prop. I think you're lucky in that you can probably get 10 more mph and really wake up your boat for not much cash. ;)

If you want to read about other peoples set ups, there's a bunch at Hydrostream.Org.

http://www.hydrostream.org/TechTalk/TechTalk.htm

Topic Author
tommy
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

thanks for the advice, i do not have low water pick up, but i have tried to run the motor 1'1/2 bellow the pad, water pressure sat around 15psi but prop could not get a good bite.

Maple Leaf
Regular
Regular

Laser's are crap for top end, Try some sort of Chopper style prop, SRX's work good on Streams. Get the propshaft as high as water pressure allows.
1982 Hydrostream Vandal

Currently restoring...

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post