Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

New to hydrostreams

Have questions about setting up your boat? Engine height, setback, prop, etc.

Topic Author
viper_James
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

New to hydrostreams

Hi guys late in the past summer I purchased a hydrostream viper with a 150 merc on it. It has a bobs nosecone with dual low water pickups, and some sort of torque fin on the end of the skeg. I'm not sure what prop is on the boat since it is what was on it when I bought it. It has a jackplate on it with i believe a 7in setback also. The battery and fuel tank are underneath the bow of the boat. My question for you guys is what advice would you guys have to help reduce chine walking. Anywhere close to 60 mph the boat chine walks like crazy unless I run the trim way down. Would a jackplate with less setback help reduce this or would it be worse?

Topic Author
viper_James
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Re: New to hydrostreams

apparently I am too new to post pictures does anyone know when I can post pictures?

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome! :wave:

You can either attach photos right away or after 3 posts you can post links (Includes images from places like photobucket and other photo hosting sites). Its a spam thing. If you have any other question please ask and myself or someone else will be happy to help you out.
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

Topic Author
viper_James
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Hippie459MN wrote:Welcome! :wave:

You can either attach photos right away or after 3 posts you can post links (Includes images from places like photobucket and other photo hosting sites). Its a spam thing. If you have any other question please ask and myself or someone else will be happy to help you out.
Oh that makes sense I could see why they don't want new users posting links immediately. Thank you! :up:

nosboss
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

It could be lots of things. We need to see the boats setup. Motor height or prop shaft height in relation to the pad(bottom of the boat). The core could be bad. I've seen boats with bad cores that we're impossible to drive. Steering system? Bad motor mounts can also make it very difficult to drive. OR, you just need some seat time to learn how to drive a pad-V style hull.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
'76 ventura II
'87 200 evinrude xp

'79 baja 180ss

Topic Author
viper_James
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

nosboss wrote:It could be lots of things. We need to see the boats setup. Motor height or prop shaft height in relation to the pad(bottom of the boat). The core could be bad. I've seen boats with bad cores that we're impossible to drive. Steering system? Bad motor mounts can also make it very difficult to drive. OR, you just need some seat time to learn how to drive a pad-V style hull.

It has hydrolic steering on it so i don't believe that is part of the problem. Maybe the motor mounts and core could be part of the problem? what should I Look for to determine if either of those have an effect. By looking at it the center of the prop shaft is even with the lowest part of the bottom of the transom. I know that I am not the greatest at driving it since it is new to me, however my dad has the same issues when he runs the boat and he previously owned a 90mph vector.

I can take more specific pictures if that would help later this week, but for now these are the only pictures I have.

nosboss
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

With the boat on the trailer, trim the motor down to a normal driving position. Try to move the motor left and right. Shaking it to see if there is any play. If it doesn't move, good. If it does, you need to look and see what is moving and what isn't. That will show you if the motor mounts or something in the steering is bad.

The core... slide under the boat with a rubber mallet and start tapping around. You should hear a solid thud and feel very hard. Move all over. If the sound changes to a hollow sound and has some deflection, the core is bad in that spot.

'76 ventura II
'87 200 evinrude xp

'79 baja 180ss

Topic Author
viper_James
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

nosboss wrote:With the boat on the trailer, trim the motor down to a normal driving position. Try to move the motor left and right. Shaking it to see if there is any play. If it doesn't move, good. If it does, you need to look and see what is moving and what isn't. That will show you if the motor mounts or something in the steering is bad.

The core... slide under the boat with a rubber mallet and start tapping around. You should hear a solid thud and feel very hard. Move all over. If the sound changes to a hollow sound and has some deflection, the core is bad in that spot.

perfect thank you for the input I will see what I can do and try and narrow it down a little better.

transomstand
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

viper_James wrote:It has a jackplate on it with i believe a 7in setback also.
Too much, 5" maximum.
transomstand
Original owner 1975 Ventura II SE

Topic Author
viper_James
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

transomstand wrote:
Too much, 5" maximum.
I thought that might have had something todo with it, is there a minim it should be? or anything under 5" will work?

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post