Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

omc props

Have questions about setting up your boat? Engine height, setback, prop, etc.

Topic Author
wildone
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

omc props

i was just reading about props and saw the renegade and thought that would be a good begining boater prop they say they have good handeling what do yall think about this prop?

Surface Scratcher
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Re: omc props

Here is a short article that I pulled off Hydrosatream.Org for ya. You will want a "surfacing" prop to obtain top speed.
Notice what he notes about the windshield. Vipers will blow over!

Viper/Merc 200 Setup

Randy,

The junkpile Viper is almost ready for rigging. New coring has been vacuum bagged into the hull, as well as new dashboard, transom, stringers and gussets. The hook in the bottom has been removed, 1/4" added to the pad height and the transom raised 5" (engine to be mounted flat on transom). I have a mildly ported 200 Merc with 20" offshore midsection and CLE gear foot. The midsection has been rebuilt with new tilt tube, bushings, solid mounts, & all SS hardware replaced. I am planning on running center opposing steering. Fuel cell will be in the center behind the drivers seat, batteries on the port side rear as you have recommended in a previous article. Trim pump starboard side rear.

Should the propshaft be 2" below the pad for this setup? Prop type and size? Also, the boat will have the factory windshield, if that makes any difference. Any changes or recommendations you can add would be greatly appreciated.

Chris,
Boatmender

Chris,

You’re in for one hell of a ride. Try the engine height at 1” to 1 1/4" below the pad. This is a starting point. Be careful and learn all the little quirks that are to come up. Since you are going to drive from the center, then center as much of the rigging as possible. Start with a 14x28 cleaver or something like that. Something neutral in lift characteristics. The windshield is going to be a plus. Help hold the nose down. Take it slow and good luck.

Topic Author
wildone
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

thanks man i wonder wat a twenty four cleaver would do im running a twenty six chopper now

havingfun2
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

The only issue I might be able to add.
Yes I understand 1 prop cannot do it all.
Last season my “daily” prop was a 29 pitch shooter.
With a stock 225 omc on a vegas v.

To date with a hydrolic plate.
The 29 shooter will make the hull jump out of the water.
Even pull a ski or 2 with it.
I’ve hit low 70’s with 4 in the boat.

I’ve been trying different (borrowed) over the hub props just to try for more speed.

Getting on plain has been a REAL chore.
I bought a re3 X 28 and tried that last week.. still the same.

I rather doubt it would even get on plain with 4 on board as it cavities and vibrates so bad, it like the whole hull is coming apart.
With just me and a full tank of fuel, once on plain..everything ran real smooth.

In my experience to date, there seems to be a HUGE difference between over hub versus through hub and the few mph that could be had.
2002 Vegas V
1999 Erude 225 with everyday prop of 29p shooter
Just a fun ride all the way around.

ccrick
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

:agree:
I use my boat for more than flat out speed. A lot of times I have 4 people and coolers in mine with a full tank of fuel. I run a laser 2 and it works ok. I know I'll have to get a taller prop this year though. JMO. Haningfun, you going to jobbie nooner this year? I took the day off. June 25th.
:vking:
1980 Viking
150 Black Max

QuarterHorse
Regular
Regular

I've got a 27P Shooter that came with my motor. As soon as it comes back I'll let you know. However there was a 25P shooter that I had that was narfed really bad we tried to straighten out and use on a friends Forester. He has a no name 23P SS prop that we hit 56.XX on the GPS. We threw the 255P Shooter on and lost performance everywhere and also lost 10 MPH. Not sure if it's that we didn't get the cup right on the one bent blade or what, but I wasn't impressed at all with the Shooter on his boat.
83 Hydrostream Vector - The Mistress - 2.5 EFI
77 Hydrostream Vamp - Twisted Family Truckster Project

dnr78
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

i ran a 25 raker on a 140 on my ventura and was getting 68 mph

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post