Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

V-king 175 Merc

Have questions about setting up your boat? Engine height, setback, prop, etc.

dbdanno
The new guy
The new guy

Re: V-king 175 Merc

I have a 28P 3 blade HOOTER for v6 Merc for sale. You need a HYD or Man jack, get the motor up some to get rid of the chine walk.

Topic Author
Alexjoz
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

I'm not familiar with a Hooter, Prop that is ??? May be interested??
I'm gonna get educated on Jack plates and set-up for next season. Love this boat !
1988 Hydrostream V-king YT Mercury 175hp Atlas Jackplate 27p DAH Chopper

silkeysak
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

If it's not trying to chine walk, then it's not being driven. Chine walk is built in to these boats, and it basically means you're where you're supposed to be. Anyone who drives a MOD VP knows this, and doesn't have a problem with it. It's just part of the deal. If you get set up right, you can eliminate a lot of it, but that's what makes it fun. You got to ride that ragged edge. These boats are a constant correction of chine walk. That's what separates the winners from the losers in any race. Keep you're foot in it, and drive through it. It's all a matter of seat time. Stay in the seat, push it, and enjoy, nothing's better.

jacklake2003
Regular
Regular

Just to add a little more about chine walking.... When I first got my VooDoo, I had no experience with any type of v pad/performance boat. I had been around boats all my life, but nothing with any real speed. My assumtion was that I could slowly advance the throttle until I reached full speed. However, I would get to about 45 and this unusal (at the time) chine walk would kick in and I would have to back off. I did that for the whole summer. I talked to one guy at the lake that was into performance boats and he said, "just drive through it, it will go away once you get a little faster." I tried that a few times and "chickened out". Looking back now, if I would of taken his advise, I would of more than likly destroyed my boat and possible myself! Thank GOD I didn't listen to him. What it took for me was learning to control the chine walk at it's onset and slowly progressing in speed from there. The "controlling" of chine walk is the almost rhythmic and slight corrections in steering, opposite of the direction of list. After being comfortable doing that at 45mph, I slowly increased the speed until I reached top speed in the boat. Good luck, just take you're time and "practice."
-Chris

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

Or you can have Chet build you a boat like his, there is no driving through anything. :lol: It is on the pad even when its sitting still I think. Now that's a boat seems to be a dream to drive. It's either sitting still or on plane. In other words, its a missle.

OK, done hijacking this topic. :up:

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Last edited by Hippie459MN on Dec 30, 2012 5:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: spelling
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

Topic Author
Alexjoz
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Thanks to you all for the advice from this thread! I'm getting the feel of the boat and working the steering and countering the chine walk. It's a thrill to be learning the skill needed to run the boat to top speed. I've been rewarded with high 60 mph runs with low drama ! It's finding the right level of trim and controlling the walk.
Now that Autumn in here, I'll enjoy a few more weeks on the lake and then I'm ready to get "Sea YA" ready for next season. I will be looking for advice for a Prop/Jackplate set-up . I want to get into the 70's next season!
1988 Hydrostream V-king YT Mercury 175hp Atlas Jackplate 27p DAH Chopper

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post