Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

looper timing

Have questions about setting up your boat? Engine height, setback, prop, etc.

Topic Author
silkeysak
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

looper timing

I have 1988 225 rude looper. Any way to set timing without a loadwheel in a tank or on the water at 4500 rpm with any accuracy. People talk about securing to dock and letting it rip, but I don't know about that. Any suggestions? I don't want to run it hard, unless the timing is right.

dehydrated
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Re: looper timing

you can get it close by puting it full throttle holding the timer base full stop maybe need to wire it full open on some crank it and test with a timing light should mark fly wheel 4 degrees less so if your looper calls for 18 degrees mark it for 14 cause with it running it will advance 4 degrees should get you close also its a good idea to index the fly wheel for the rest of cylinders and check those as well each tooth is 3degrees on 120tooth flywheel good luck phil

Topic Author
silkeysak
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

To index the other cylinders. do you mark their TDC on the flywheel, and then mark off appropriate number of teeth for proper timing?

dehydrated
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

yes ,take all plugs out find tdc on each cyl mark timing spot on each hook up spark tester to the cyl your testing and crank away if your timing is 18 degrees mark spot at 14 degrees should double check on the water boat tied down but thats usaully right on the money

Topic Author
silkeysak
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Thanks for the help dehydrated. I advanced timing all the way out, but left the throttle closed. Will that work as well. I reset timing 4 degrees off spec.

dehydrated
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

you want throttle wide open thats what your timing wot. your idle timing should be set in gear motor running at 6 degrees

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post