Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Vulture setup

Have questions about setting up your boat? Engine height, setback, prop, etc.

Topic Author
sixcylrunabout
The new guy
The new guy

Vulture setup

Been lurking for a while, but this is my first post. I have a 78 Vulture and have run into a speed barrier of 75/76 MPH. I would like to see over 80. The boat has a 94 200 xri on a 5" hydraulic jackplate. The best prop I have found so far is a 24" small hub trophy. I have tried Merc choppers, cleavers and several Yamaha drags in the 24"-26" range and all it seems to do is slow me down a few MPH. Is there anyone familiar with the Vulture that can help me out. I have bought some 6"/8" adjustable set backs for myve I just jackplate, but haven't gotten them yet. Have I missed something real obvious or is 75 all the vulture is good for? Thanks, proud to be a Stream owner, Dwayne Laramore.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Re: Vulture setup

Welcome to the madness.

There are a lot of variables beyond props in setup, and not all props will run well with the same setup.
Do you have a low water pickup and or a water pressure gauge?
With neutral trim where is the propshaft in relation to the bottom of the pad= engine height?
I do not have a vulture but would imagine more setback will help, I run 12" on my 20' vegas xt.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Topic Author
sixcylrunabout
The new guy
The new guy

Thank you, I am learning quickly what it is like to be a member of the slightly more expensive "big motor club". Lol. Right now it seems to run best somewhere around 1 1/2" to 2" below the pad. I am running a Bob's 200 case with lwp and water pressure gauge. Boat has been recored and is structurally solid. It has a small hook from front to back of the pad " 3/32" over a distance of the last 4 foot" I have raced the small eleven and twelve foot kneel down boats ranging in speed from 60 to high 90's. This is my first big boat and feel like it should run a little better than it does right now. Like I said in the original post, I am looking for just over 80. With the hydraulics I have run every prop through the gauntlet of hieghts. Mostly what I see from the pictures my friends took the boat looks too heavy in the water with probably three feet touching at speed. Seems to me like it is running on more than just the pad and shouldn't be. So my next If I have left anything else out that may help let me know, and I will fill in the blanks as best I can. Thanks, Dwayne.

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

This is a low 80's pass and I still have a lot of boat in the water.

How much trim do you need at top speed?
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

How much set back are your running? I would try at least 8" or even 10" set back. I have a 77 Vulture with a 10" jackplate but I have yet to run the boat but these boats do love alot of set back to get em flying. :D

I know a guy that had a 79 with 10" plate and a 225 merc that did just over 80. Took him a while but with the right combo he got over 80. I have seen a 90+mph vulture too. Had a 275 rude on it. Not sure if there was any work done to it or not though. These hulls will go fast, Just need big power and lots of set back. :up:
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

Topic Author
sixcylrunabout
The new guy
The new guy

I don't have huge horse power so thats out, but I am waiting on my extensions to get here so I can put the motor at either 11 or 13 inches of set back. I appreciate y'all helping me out. I am mobile most of the time and don't believe I can post a picture from my phone. As far as the trim question from 77viper it looks trimmed up at speed. As soon as I can I will post a pic or get it to someone that can post it for me. Thanks, Dwayne.

Topic Author
sixcylrunabout
The new guy
The new guy

Okay I am technologically challenged, stole the wifes laptop and tried to figure out how to put a pic up here but had no luck. Could I trouble someone here to post it for me? I can send it as a text off my phone or as an email, whichever makes the most sense. Thanks, Dwayne

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Send them to me @ chetmolson@frontiernet.net and I'll post them for ya.

I would start with 11" I haven't run extensions with a jackplate but I have heard of bolts loosening up so make sure to double nut all bolts.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Here ya go.

Your attitude looks good, the faster you go the more it will come out of the water due to water pressure on the hull.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Topic Author
sixcylrunabout
The new guy
The new guy

Well, its that whole faster thing that is eluding me up to this point. Thanks for posting the picture for me. Dwayne.

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post