Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

75 viper restroration

Restoring your Hydrostream or just giving it a small makeover? What better place than to show off your project. Big or small.

Topic Author
fla.viper
Regular
Regular

75 viper restroration

well i got most of the foam core out of the bow. still lots of finish sanding to do. i was a little dissipointed with what i found under the core. lots of repairs, really thin spots in the hull and even some small holes and cracks. im trying to come up with a game plan on how to deal with this. im thinking of repair each spot then reinforce the entire inside bottom of the hull with a layer of glass. has anybody had to do this before? im thinking safty first, and i dont think the added weight will will make that much difference, but i dont know for sure. im also a little worried about how true the bottom will be. will these repairs make it more difficult to get it flat and streight? the batteries in my camera are dead, so ill have to post pics of the damaged areas tommorrow. thanks, mike

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Re: 75 viper restroration

Mike, I see you're in Daytona, I lived on Natalist and A1 while I went to school down there. Fun times for sure.

I would do it like you said repair the spots and then a layer of glass over the whole thing.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Topic Author
fla.viper
Regular
Regular

yea, daytona is a great place to live. i left michigan in 98 because the boating season was too short. ever hit dissipearing island, or cruz the intercoastal? im taking my 23 foot seabird out this weekend. the cobia are running closer to shore, going to try to catch one.

brianincc
The new guy
The new guy

I'm restoring a 73 vector about an hour west of you in Crescent City FL. We got on the cobia strong this year out of St.Aug. They weren't cruising the beach up our way most were caught on the nearshore wrecks and reefs or on rays between 30' and 50'. I saw very few rays with fish on them along the beach this year. Good luck on the cobes.

Topic Author
fla.viper
Regular
Regular

after 8 hours of sanding i had enoulf for the day. i really thought i would be done with the sanding today. fat chance. had i known it was going to be this much work i would not have taken the seabird out yesterday. i though i had most of it out the other day,but once i started sanding i realized there was alot left in there. it would have been easier, but someone had done it once before, and did a pretty good job. in fact if i was doing this boat to sell i would not of even touched the front of the core. i tried to position the boat so the sun would shine under the deck for the pics. in two pics you can see previous repairs. other two are progress pics. my origonal idea was to sand the hull untill i got to the bare glass that came out of the mold, but with the thickened resin used to hold the core down, im haveing second thoughts. mainly cuz grinding fiberglass really sucks. hopefully some one will look at the pics and tell me how much farther i should go. thanks for the help, mike
Attachments
viper floor 004.JPG
viper floor 004.JPG (1.89 MiB) Viewed 3942 times
viper floor 003.JPG
viper floor 003.JPG (1.97 MiB) Viewed 3942 times
viper floor 002.JPG
viper floor 002.JPG (1.94 MiB) Viewed 3942 times
viper floor 001.JPG
viper floor 001.JPG (1.35 MiB) Viewed 3942 times

YDOC462
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

some of the guys pointed me to use a grinding disc from express composites. attached to a 4 1/2" grinder it made life way much easier and saved alot of time.
81 vector....complete restore....1991 7 pedal 200 slightly modded
ALWAYS under construction

HYDROSTREAM HELLIONS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHE8wWZsFpw

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, The grinding disk from Express Composites is a metal disk that goes right on a 4 1/2" grinder and will cut your grinding time in half from using paper disks and you will not need to change it like paper disks. I used one on my vulture and it was a huge time saver. Check out my project vulture thread. Link is in my signature. It was Chets disk and maybe he can post up a picture of it. It cost about $50 but its a lot cheaper then going through 20+ paper disks and way faster.
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Here is the disc from http://www.expresscomposites.com/ it's not on their online catalog so you have to call to get one.

I would go all the way down to the original glass, here is mt vking just before I put the core in it.

Looks good so far though, it's a lot of work but so worth it the fist time in the water.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

kytekeith
Regular
Regular

I wanted to take all the chop gun glass out but heard it was not needed as long as it wasn't defective. These hulls are so thin that after you get thru the chop it is easy to go all the way thru the hull. I found out the bad way. I used a 4 1/2 inch grinder also but used a different type of disc . These are alot cheeper and can be found at local hardware or welding suply. They are around ten bucks and come in various grits. I used 36 grit and only used one and it is still good for many more grindings. I keep them around for grinding and finishind stainless. A 120 grit will smooth out a stainless weld to look like a factory bend.
100_0090.JPG
100_0090.JPG (1.7 MiB) Viewed 3913 times

Topic Author
fla.viper
Regular
Regular

thanks for the info on the different typs of grinding wheels. probally not going to do much grinding till this weekend. i got a major case of fiberglass itch. couldnt sleep last nite couldnt stop itching. makes work really misierable. deffienitly wont be grinding in shorts and t-shrit any more.

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post