Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

new member with a 78 viper

Restoring your Hydrostream or just giving it a small makeover? What better place than to show off your project. Big or small.

Topic Author
aaron78viper
Regular
Regular

Re: new member with a 78 viper

YDOC462 wrote:Best advice, just read everything you can on here. You'll figure it out.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
thats what ive been doing man. trying to figure out how im gonna get it goin fast and stable.. with a firm hull to sit on lol

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Welcome Aaron.

If the floor is bad, so is the core. Replacing it is a big job but so worth it in the end. It looks like the paint is peeling, if it is I wouldn't trust the rest to stay on best to get rid if it and start over.

The viper is a blast to drive for sure. As for scary fast I went with both a v-6 and nitrous, it's a blast!
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

alaskastreamin
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Welcome Aaron.
You will LOVE the Viper when properly set up.

First thing I would do is get that hull off the rollers and put bunks on the trailer. Those things will make your bottom a washboard quick.

Chances are your core is shot. Boy do we hate to tell newcomers this but we just gotta. Most of us have had to replace ours. Some deny theres is bad but usually the ugly truth rises in the end.
Fat Tony just got a Viper and is starting to get up to speed. Look at his thread as well as as many you have time to read. There's plenty to keep you busy.
Ask any and all questions. There's plenty of free advise here with a some super guys!! :up:
Ron Pratt
Okanogan, WA
Viper/ 2.5L 200 Merc (SOLD)
1991 "the last" Virage/ 15" 280
2003 9’ Mini Virage/ 15 hp Honda 4-stroke
1989 Voyager/ 300 Promax
1989 HST / 2.5L 200 Merc
http://www.prattcustoms.com

Topic Author
aaron78viper
Regular
Regular

alaskastreamin wrote:Welcome Aaron.
You will LOVE the Viper when properly set up.

First thing I would do is get that hull off the rollers and put bunks on the trailer. Those things will make your bottom a washboard quick.

Chances are your core is shot. Boy do we hate to tell newcomers this but we just gotta. Most of us have had to replace ours. Some deny theres is bad but usually the ugly truth rises in the end.
Fat Tony just got a Viper and is starting to get up to speed. Look at his thread as well as as many you have time to read. There's plenty to keep you busy.
Ask any and all questions. There's plenty of free advise here with a some super guys!! :up:
i was wondering about the roller vs bunker trailer and now that you say that ill probably change that quickly. im not shocked about the floor tho so dont feel bad about informing me about it. i did my first floor in my 89 glastron css when i was 15. man was that a cool boat, and that was well worth the work. :up:

idvette
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Don't confuse floor with core though, they're 2 very different structural parts!

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
1988 Canadian Edition Vision Sold
1990 Hydrostream Virage Stage 3 Turbo

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

aaron78viper wrote:im not shocked about the floor tho so dont feel bad about informing me about it. i did my first floor in my 89 glastron css when i was 15. man was that a cool boat, and that was well worth the work. :up:
idvette wrote:Don't confuse floor with core though, they're 2 very different structural parts!

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
What idvette said! DO NOT confuse the floor with the CORE! They are 2 different animals. The core is the main, major stuctural part of your boat (Found under the FLOOR) and from the factory they were not sealed well and were very prone to rotting. Just about every one of us here has done one or is the middle of doing one. You can look at my resto thread here (It can be found here - http://www.hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1171 ) or take a look at Chets (77viper) viper resto thread. There are plenty of rebuil/restoration topics here. Take your time to read and if you have any questions just ask.
alaskastreamin wrote:Chances are your core is shot. Boy do we hate to tell newcomers this but we just gotta. Most of us have had to replace ours. Some deny theres is bad but usually the ugly truth rises in the end.
Ron couldnt have said it better! These are not boats to take for granted as they can be very dangerous when they are not up to par structurally.
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

RussF
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

Welcome.where in MA are you located

Topic Author
aaron78viper
Regular
Regular

Hippie459MN wrote: What idvette said! DO NOT confuse the floor with the CORE! They are 2 different animals. The core is the main, major stuctural part of your boat (Found under the FLOOR) and from the factory they were not sealed well and were very prone to rotting. Just about every one of us here has done one or is the middle of doing one. You can look at my resto thread here (It can be found here - http://www.hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1171 ) or take a look at Chets (77viper) viper resto thread. There are plenty of rebuil/restoration topics here. Take your time to read and if you have any questions just ask.
Ron couldnt have said it better! These are not boats to take for granted as they can be very dangerous when they are not up to par structurally.
i looked through your entire build from your link.. boat it looking great so far. and i definitely want to do a proper job on mine also. that being said, i see the two main stringers. and the core seems to be a flat layer of what? balsa strips??? where can i pick up materials for the core? and do you fiberglass them to the hull? and seal it all up with more glass??

Topic Author
aaron78viper
Regular
Regular

RussF wrote:Welcome.where in MA are you located
im located in wareham mass and ill be running the boat in lakeville. i have family living on the lake. done a lot of fishing there since i was about 12

RussF
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

i hear there's alot of stream on that lake,I never been but hopin to some day

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post