Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Metal Flake colors, new gelcoat!

Restoring your Hydrostream or just giving it a small makeover? What better place than to show off your project. Big or small.

Topic Author
BBowman2
The new guy
The new guy

Metal Flake colors, new gelcoat!

Okay, i have an 82 Viking. the current color of the boat is a blue/silver metal flake paint. The boat has some stress cracks in it. and the gel coat is getting pretty rough as well. I was just wondering does anyone have any idea of how expensive it would be to get my boat's metal flake color changed and completely new gelcoat? And are there any other metal flake colors anyone would recommend?

Thanks!! Brad

265mercman
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Re: Metal Flake colors, new gelcoat!

iam not forsure on the cost of someone professonial doing it but you could probally swing the top and bottom painting it for under 1500$ as iam going to regel my bottom and vinyl wrap the top mines a vking 2006 comp hull got the vinyl priced at 1,000$ installed for top hull

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
79 vector missing in action!!!!!

2006 vking center steer

VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Welcome to the site. You'll need a few posts but after that, post some pictures..Love to see it.

Ask for Tomas. These guys are awesome!!!

http://www.expresscomposites.com/METAL%20FLAKE.html

Mention the forum and me, Thanks

Bill

Topic Author
BBowman2
The new guy
The new guy

Thanks for the advise guys! How much metal flake paint should I buy if I'm going to so the whole boat? (Whole boat black for base, then a different color for on the top edge of the boat)
Thanks!

VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Not sure - haven't done mine yet. Tomas from Express Composite will know what quantity you need. I know you're a long way from there, but delivery in 1 day to WI from MN. Bill

maximum rpm
The new guy
The new guy

Hi guys, I've been into bodywork/paint for 15 years now and metalflake is quite a job.. Depending on the size of flake you want, some are easy to shoot and others a real pain... If you were thinking .025/.035 such as bass boats or old vintage paints (like most of our boats at first) then we're talking way more money. I don't know about the shops in your area, but I would deffinativly not do a custom flake job top+ bottom for 1000-1500$ lol If your fine with going a bit smaller flake (pearl) then it's a different thing cause it can be sprayed normally. Bottom is easy because most will be gel or eurethane. The problem with big flake is that it needs to 'sink' into the clearcoat and therefore, it can not be acchieved in a normal 2 coats of clear. Lot of sanding and shooting. This makes the total cost of the project rise again. Thinking about prepping the top and bottom and then bring it to the paintshop ? I'm pretty sure the shop won't like it too much.. .the prep and the choice of products is something very important. If you cheep out the bottom part, whatever's over it won't matter. Everything starts from bottom to top. For that reason, shops don't like 'pre-done' bodywork since the final results depends directly from what was done prior. Not to forget material compatibility...

stress cracks can not be 'filled' just with paint. Primer or paint will sink directly into it and create a spyderweb design. Want to do a clean job?? don't cut corner's short.. do it right the first time. Don't have all the money to do it right ? wait till you do...
Go fast with class

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post