Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Valero YT Bowrider recore

Restoring your Hydrostream or just giving it a small makeover? What better place than to show off your project. Big or small.

Topic Author
Laserman
The new guy
The new guy

Valero YT Bowrider recore

Well I finally bit the bullet and purchased a used stream. It's an 87 model and it has a hole in the bottom from the previous owner. I knew that going in so I think will just recore the bottom before it hits the water with me in it. I haven't had much time to climb through it but he previous owner's insurance company cut a hole through the ski locker area to access the inside of the bottom and see the extent of the damage. I figured the core was bad and it is. The question I have is whether to split the deck and the hull. Also it looks like it has a liner under the floor to form the ski locker. I have been searching for pictures of the inner bottom before I tear into it to see where to cut and here to be careful. Any advice would be appreciated. Can't wait to finally have a faster stream than my Hustler/25 hp Merc I had 30 years ago. I'll post some pics once I get enough posts and good pics to post.

dehydrated
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Re: Valero YT Bowrider recore

Welcome to the valero yt ! if you do a search on scream and Fly there has been 2 valero recores that are pretty good informative reads. Neither split the hulls . let me know if you can not find them and i will try to help.

VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Welcome! Can't wait to see some pictures. Bill :up:

Topic Author
Laserman
The new guy
The new guy

Thanks dehydrated. I read through the Valero recore threads and it seems like I have my hands full. Looks like the pad area will definitely need the rebuild. Need to look and start figuring how to do the core area in the walk through section and get the floor up. I need to take the sawzall to it and see how much I can do without splitting the hull and deck.

dehydrated
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Go easy with the saws all ,short blade for sure, with the floor i would drill a test hole to gauge the thickness than set saw to that depth. I also would pick up a multi master tool you can buy them cheap at harbor freight .Works great and less dust.

QuarterHorse
Regular
Regular

Something like this:
http://www.abt.com/product/66113/Bosch-Tools-PS50BN.html?utm_source=scfroogle&utm_medium=sc&utm_campaign=PS50BN&adtype=pla

Can give you precision where a sawzall can not.

Looking forward to your build!
83 Hydrostream Vector - The Mistress - 2.5 EFI
77 Hydrostream Vamp - Twisted Family Truckster Project

Topic Author
Laserman
The new guy
The new guy

Thanks for the info. I have one of those so I'll be sure to use it. I was just looking at the boat again today and I can see a gelcoat crack along the center pad in the rear 2/3rds of the boat. It's on the side of the pad on the vertical surface. I knew this going in so I am also looking forward to getting ready to start demolition. I'm planning on making a dolly similar to yours so I can support it as I'm not sure how bad it is. I'll make the dolly first before I start tearing out the floors and core. I just wired the lights in the garage so I'll try to get some pictures up soon.

proprider
Regular
Regular

Hey Laserman, any progress on the Valero. It may actually get above freezing next week in Michigan and hoping to thaw out some of this snow. Water levels should be plentiful this year if you want to bring it north.

Topic Author
Laserman
The new guy
The new guy

Well. still working on the house project. As far as the boat, I need to get the engine off and a did run the jack plate up and it worked well. Plan to flip the boat and build good dolly to support the bottom before ripping out the floor. It's going to be a while yet but the warm weather will be a good motivator.

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post