Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

76 Hydrostream Ventura II SE - Restore Project

Restoring your Hydrostream or just giving it a small makeover? What better place than to show off your project. Big or small.

Topic Author
Taber13
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Re: 76 Hydrostream Ventura II SE - Restore Project

Haven't updated status lately, so here are some pics. Making my way to the front, found more wet balsa.
Attachments
week5a.jpg
week5a.jpg (340.44 KiB) Viewed 2317 times
Week9a.jpg
Week9a.jpg (429.44 KiB) Viewed 2317 times
Week9b.jpg
Week9b.jpg (506.64 KiB) Viewed 2317 times

Chinewalker
The new guy
The new guy

Looks just like mine! Watching this thread closely!

Topic Author
Taber13
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Cool, post a pic.. I am going to put some hrs into the boat this weekend.. I am trying to finish removing floor, before I start with the build back. I have a few quotes with local fiberglass shops and will probably let them replace transom, and install floor.. I am fixing to order the balsa wood for the floor. I will cut a few more windows into the core, but they advised to keep it, and just build upon it.. It appears to be in great shape. That is the only thing I have to decide before starting the build back. They had a good point, that the wood in the core is merely something to form the fiberglass around, and the existing fiberglass is in great shape. I haven't made my final decision. Anyway, I will try to get the final demo stuff done within the next few weeks, and then its time to start re-build. I am thinking about doing some custom things in the rebuild.. like under the front , instead of just putting the shelf as it was, cutting out a section and putting a rectangular section that is about 4" lower, to fit an ice chest. I was also thinking about a ski-pole built into the rear, just before the splash-well, and maybe going back with bucket seats in front, with two more bucket seats up against the rear facing forward. Maybe even a built in rear bench wrap-around incorporating the ski-pole. Well, I guess that's the fun part.. Also shopping around for Jack-Plate, and hydraulic steering. Anyway, I am almost ready for the next phase .. which is great..

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pull all the core out and replace it!!!!!! You will thank yourself later. If the floor and transom are wet, so it's the core and if it's original, it's wet regardless. Don't take short cuts to save time and a few dollars. These things didn't have the best build quality over the years due to them trying to pump them out the door as fast as they could. Hate to see the boat come apart on you where you decided to not replace any core.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

Surface Scratcher
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Hey, I want to say Hi to a fellow Texan. You have a nice piece of Stream history and it's a family boat too. Also you're doing a nice job documenting your rebuild on this forum, although you may never want to sell. :)

Now for the rant:

Would you put a new bell on your bicycle if the tires were flat?
Would you just slap some paint on your house if the old stuff was peeling?

The core is an engineered, structural component of the boat, so I disagree with your shop.
With their logic, no one has ever needed a core.
Dry balsa is important, otherwise there wouldn't have been so many Hydrostreams come apart before now.

Whatever you decide, will be fine with us, but you have already done the hardest part. Why not put it back together better than original?

Best of luck :up:

homebrewman23
The new guy
The new guy

I have re cored a hydrostream vector and it wasn't all that difficult. The concern is the new balsa getting wet so what we did was use divinacell composite board instead of balsa. Its water proof, lighter than balsa, incredibly rigid and crush resistant. It costs a lot more than balsa but its the last time you will ever have to mess with that core and it increases flotation to boot as it is what is used to build surf boards. A heat lamp and bags of coal were used to get it to conform to the bottom of the boat, while gluing it down.

Chinewalker
The new guy
The new guy

Here's a couple pics of mine... She's been run hard and put away wet - literally. It will need a new transom and core - the existing transom has been goobered up in an attempt to "fix" it, and the core was replaced with plywood - barely.
Attachments
Stream_4589.jpg
Stream_4589.jpg (420.29 KiB) Viewed 2259 times
Stream_1897.jpg
Stream_1897.jpg (791.84 KiB) Viewed 2259 times
Stream_1894.jpg
Stream_1894.jpg (937.23 KiB) Viewed 2259 times

transomstand
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Taber13 wrote: but they advised to keep it, and just build upon it.. It appears to be in great shape. That is the only thing I have to decide before starting the build back. They had a good point, that the wood in the core is merely something to form the fiberglass around,
RUN from those people as FAST as you can......and NEVER speak to them again :nono:

I can see the core is mush from here. Think gravity, water runs downhill. The part of the core that will be in the worst condition will be at the lowest point. The pad area will be the worst, that's where you get the "death crack". The core in the rear pad area is frequently completely gone, then you get a crack in the center of the pad. At high speed water is forced into the crack and the hollow core area becomes pressurized, this causes a hydraulic explosion of the hull. The front portion of the hull separates from the rear, the back goes one way with the engine, the cockpit goes another way, YOU might go anywhere (after you smash all your teeth out hitting the steering wheel/deck) and I don't even want to tell you what your shins feel like after clobbering the bottom of the dash. Hopefully, you won't end up trapped in the wreckage on the lake bottom, maybe you'll be lucky and have just 3 broken ribs, only one punctured lung and a ripped spleen and be happily bobbing around in your Lifeline.....

So anyway.....STILL THINK LEAVING THE CORE IS A GOOD IDEA????????
transomstand
Original owner 1975 Ventura II SE

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pete, you sound like you have been down that road before.

-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

transomstand
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Hippie459MN wrote:Pete, you sound like you have been down that road before.

I've been the luckiest Stream owner on the planet. I had the death crack in mine and for some totally unknown reason we never went over 30 mph that day. Boat started taking water and after investigation found a 2 ft long crack in the pad, cut the floor and inner skin and pretty much found no core at all.

I never forget how lucky I was, because several friends were not.
transomstand
Original owner 1975 Ventura II SE

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post