Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

78 VIKING. GETTING STARTED ON THIS PROJECT.

Restoring your Hydrostream or just giving it a small makeover? What better place than to show off your project. Big or small.

Topic Author
Don B
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Yea its pretty bad rotten. Its even worse towards the front. I wouldn't have thought that was bad but it is. brushed out like dirt. :lol:

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Topic Author
Don B
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Got a lot of core out today. :D
821.jpg
821.jpg (376.6 KiB) Viewed 1601 times
All the white spots the core was still very strong. :x

Streamer
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

What a great project!! :up:
I'm getting itchy just looking at the pictures.
Actually am in almost the same place in my project stream as well. Demolition mode and getting the grinder out.
I just bought a supplied fresh air respirator to do my cutting, grinding and painting work. BreatheCool sells one that is reasonable and works great. Shipped to my door less than $400.

Please keep the pics rolling in.
I like your motor too! I bought a new 79 200 back in 1979 to put on a Checkmate I had back then. Is your 175 a 79? It has the same color scheme as my 79 200.

James
79 Vector needs restore (on hold for now)
79 V-King getting restored (WIP)

Topic Author
Don B
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Yes it is a 79 and seems to be in good shape still. Are you going to do a splashwell delete ? I was going to hold off on that until winter. And do the core stringers and floor for now then transom this winter. Also I suit up head to toe so itching isn't to bad yet :mrgreen:

Streamer
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

Actually no, I am going to "try" and save my splash well. I may not be able to though because I am lifting the deck off to do some work to the underside of the deck, and be able to access the front 1/3 of the boat to grind and prep really well for my core and stringer work.

My V-King is a 79, and it has a huge foam box that runs over 1/2 the length of the boat on both sides, transom to just past the dash. I want those gone. Easier to do with the deck off...for me anyway. I will make my under bow area sealed up tight. That air pocket will be my flotation, and also seal the deck to hull as well to trap more air, in the event of trouble... :o

Some of the knowledgeable folks over on S&F have warned me separating the deck from the hull at the transom can be difficult. Guessing that's the only part of the build they got good and strong at the factory..ha ha. :lol:

Anyway, it is easier to cut the well out, and then add the flat deck back in when all finished.

I am taking pictures as I go, not sure if I'll post them in a thread. I am enjoying reading your thread.. :up:

James

Topic Author
Don B
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Post lots of pics. We all like pics. There are a lot of good people here at hydrostreamfourums.com and we all have a common interest :boating:

Topic Author
Don B
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Streamer wrote:QR_BBPOST I just bought a supplied fresh air respirator to do my cutting, grinding and painting work. BreatheCool sells one that is reasonable and works great. Shipped to my door less than $400.
I need to get something like that for sure. :up: I could work longer without my glasses fogging up. They say the itching really starts when you rough up the bottom :shock:

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cold(er) showers are the best when you really start to feel the itch. Just wait until you get up under the bow. Thats no fun but it has to be done. :up:
IMAG0036.jpg
IMAG0036.jpg (141.62 KiB) Viewed 1555 times
The fan you see there, kind of helped but I kept knocking it over so I said screw it. :?
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

Streamer
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

Yes, the itching is one thing, but breathing any glass dust is not good either. I have tried the paper masks and never really can get a good seal.

The forced fresh air into a respirator mask keeps a positive pressure of fresh air. It has a flow control to set it where you need it.
I got mine with 75' of hose and set the pump outside in good clean air. It works well. The air is cool as the pump does not heat it up.

I could start a new thread with my V-King...do you really want another thread?
I'm a slow worker only working in spare time ;) on it. It could be a (long time wise) thread :shock: My wife seems to find "more important" things for me to do. :dunno: My idea of work and hers are different!

Anyone here found an easy way to remove the factory rub rail? I started using a cut off wheel to split the rail length wise, then drill rivets out...then the saws all to separate the halves. It is a slow process.....Suggestions?? Can't wait to get to the transom and separate the splash well from the transom.... (sarcasm!)

Guess I need to start that thread, huh....

James

Topic Author
Don B
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

I am slow going also :o I keep getting side tracked and now we just got bumped up on hours at work :x I would like to see you split your boat tho. :up: post away.

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post