Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

83 V-King (Bruiser) Restoration

Restoring your Hydrostream or just giving it a small makeover? What better place than to show off your project. Big or small.

Topic Author
83VKING
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Re: 83 V-King (Bruiser) Restoration

I only have 6 gallons right now. Looks like I will be getting more. The last thing I want to happen is run out in the middle of the job. Rather over buy and have the resin than not have enough. I agree the core will soak up the majority. ideally 65 degrees is good for glassing. I won't see that temp consistently until late May. What is the temperature cut off is for fiberglassing. To realy want to get a goood head start before summer but am not going to risk this crucial part of the job in low temperatures. (Boat is outside no garage)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
1983 V-King - '83 115 Merc Tower of Power
1974 Glastron Carlson CV21- Berkeley Jet 455 Olds

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

In not real sure on temperature cut off. I did all my initial glass work in the middle of summer and it was like 90 degrees out side. Second time was in a shop in the middle of winter but he was able to get it from 10 degrees up to 80 degrees no problem in about 20 minutes. LoL

[ Post made via Samsung Galaxy S5 ] Image
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

Topic Author
83VKING
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Nice that's perfect, well looks like i will plan for the warmer weather. in the mean time just need to gather more materials. Thanks!

Topic Author
83VKING
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Hello!

It has been a whole year since the last time i was active on the form. Lets just say there has been a lot of progress made with this restoration. So much progress that its 100% done and had an awesome summer on the lake in 2017. There where a lot of ups and downs, learning experiences, frustrations, questions, discoveries, and new visions along the way. I plan to post step by step what i did throughout the resto and post the pictures along the way. The way i rebuilt this hydrostream was custom to what i wanted. i used a lot ideas and put them into what i could do. This may not be the top 10 hydrostream resto's out there but i did what i could to bring her back.

i look forward to sharing my resto experience and hope to inspire and bring new ideas to the form. Feel free to be as critical as you want, no hard feelings taken! Looking back, Yes i would do things differently. Lessons learned as you will see when i post the pictures. look forward to sharing my V-King resto!

Topic Author
83VKING
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

On March 25, 2017 i uncovered the V-King and found the pad full of Ice... great my top had a leak.. after i took the ice out and let the hull dry i took Hippie's recomendation and removed the foam boxes. to my surprise there was water in them! holy cow i thought they would have been bone dry, no way it was like a sponge and the hull was wet underneath the foam (for who knows how long, probably many years).

RussF
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

hey your back.......... I live next town from you

Topic Author
83VKING
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Hey Thanks i remember you are in Litchfield.
After taking out the foam boxes, i started on the transom. 2 pieces on 3/4" sandwiched together with a layer of MAT in-between. Once cured i wrapped it in 1708 Biaxial.

After the glass was dry, i had to sand down the edges and smooth it out.

It was a tough fit. it could oily get it down this far. i had to use a sledge hammer to slam it down.

But it fit nice and snug once it was put in.

I used Loctite PL premium glue as just a filler around the edges and the back against the transom.

I always liked having a build of layered glass at the top, i know many guys like to extend the wood up. i though about it but decided against it because as of right now i do not have a jack plate and the merc 115 would fit as it did from the factory.

resin was poorer down any cracks or seams i could find, then the top was glassed back in because i could, no real reason.

once the glass was hard i was able to belt sand the top and smooth everything out.

i put a few extra layers of glass inside to seal the bond and add a little extra strength. i was going to brace it with the wood from the stringer but had to keep in mind the fuel tank and the very limited space i had to work with. I then turned my focus on the hull and putting a few lays of MAT down before the core.

RussF
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

looking good

Topic Author
83VKING
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

I put 2 layers of MAT on the hull and pad. Then placed 24oz woven glass down on top of the MAT. Probably overkill but i wanted a good base before the core was put in.

That was a lot of resin used, probably 2 gallons.

I used string to find the correct height of the stringers. this is were the floor would meet the stringers, with this method i could get an accurate stringer measurement.

Here is the stringer layout. I decided to glass the stringers to the hull before the core is put down.

now that the stringers are measured and glassed in it was now time to prep for the core.

RussF
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

you should get together with us. there's a group that gets together on the river.....we should be meeting within the next few weeks for breakfast

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post