Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

83 V-King (Bruiser) Restoration

Restoring your Hydrostream or just giving it a small makeover? What better place than to show off your project. Big or small.

Topic Author
83VKING
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Re: 83 V-King (Bruiser) Restoration

The last run of the year, i found that i have water intrusion in cyl #3. (what i get for not having a water pressure gauge, i will be installing one this year.) Power head is coming off and replacing all the gaskets. Hopefully it fixes the problem. What river do you run on?
1983 V-King - '83 115 Merc Tower of Power
1974 Glastron Carlson CV21- Berkeley Jet 455 Olds

RussF
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

the Merrimack some of the time I usually run on Great East Lake in Wakefield NH on the Maine line but when we get together its on the Merrimack

Topic Author
83VKING
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Oh awesome. I do want to run the Merrimack sometime this year. I probably won’t be ready in time for the spring but later this summer for sure. Thanks.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Topic Author
83VKING
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

The next day i focused on the core. it ran all the way up in the bow down to the transom. I have to say there is no much room up there and it was difficult and challenging. thats were i started then worked my way back. i made sure to belt sand the hull again to ensure it was once again smooth. once i cut the core templates and had them in place i made sure to put 1 layer of MAT down before i lay the core. i found that the MAT was a good idea because it really helped the core bond to the hull. once the core was layed down i put cinder blocks on it for weight. 12 hrs later once it was dry, i belt sanded the edges and proceeded to glass the core in once and for all.

Trying to get the best core bond i could with what i had to work with. Laying glass up in that bow was a lot harder than it looks . Balancing resin in one hand laying glass in the other made poring resin and making sure it all soaked in was a challenging. I made sure to core the pad to.

Once the core bonded to the hull, it was time to lay a thick layer onto to seal it tight.

I was coming close to the end of glassing (besides the floor and additional stringers) so i was not shy about using a lot of resin. i wanted to make sure that the core was absolultly soaked with resin.

Topic Author
83VKING
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

I added a V brace in the bow and closed it in with an air box. Also took the floor down a few inches for more leg room. i tried to copy the original hydrostream layout as much as possible.

I decided to put additional stingers on the side of the hull on top of the core. when i hit a wave hard i wanted to make sure that i can relay take a wave. just more peace in mind. i know i am adding more weight and probably do not need to do it but i had the material and felt this is the way i wanted to do it. my biggest regret is not putting holes at the bottom to allow water to flow back. whoops big screw up. i will be honest i was going at a very fast pace. i did the transom/ floor in a few days. i put in holes in the floor to extract the water if any were to get in just in case.

next is glassing the floor in.

RussF
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

what are you going to run for a motor?

Topic Author
83VKING
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

I am running a 1983 mercury inline 115HP with a 22 laser II stainless. 120 PSI all 6 cyl. Bolted to transom no jackplate and no low water pick up. fastest i got it was 58 MPH on GPS. once i got past 50 i was pretty much airborne revving at 6000. to high for this motor...

Everything was pretty much redone, stater, rectifier, plugs, wires, lower gear seals, water pump, power packs ,solenoids, carbs rebuilt, fuel pump, fuel lies, etc. I am now going to have to take the power head off because i have water intrusion in cyl #3 (common for theses motors) . i will be replacing all the seals from the exhaust plates this spring. its never been rebuilt and the motor was sitting close to 10 years.

to much trim can get you in trouble for sure that's why i will invest with a jackplate and low water pickup. in the future i would like to find a Mercury XR2.

Here is a picture of the motor when i first bolted it on. nothing was attached yet (steering cable, hydraulic hoses. etc. ).

Mercury Laser II 22P. i a 24 as well, the 24 is better cruising but there more snapp with the throttle with the 22. did not gain any mph with the 24. I just picked up a quicksilver 2 blade 23P bronze speed prop i am curious about. if I can break 60 mph that will be a mile stone ive wanted to achieve with this setup.

RussF
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

ah a inline.......that's what I have on my vector which is new to me this years....I haven't even had it in the water yet..but I just picked up a XR4 150

Topic Author
83VKING
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Awesome! Do you have any pictures of your Vector and inline? That's great you picked up an XR4. that is going to be fun for the vector for sure.

RussF
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

00O0O_5jnv8buwrjH_600x450.jpg
00O0O_5jnv8buwrjH_600x450.jpg (27.3 KiB) Viewed 1801 times

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post