Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

1976 Bicentennial restore questions

Restoring your Hydrostream or just giving it a small makeover? What better place than to show off your project. Big or small.

Topic Author
rjlehr13
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

1976 Bicentennial restore questions

Hi,

As you may or may not remember, I purchased a 76 bicentennial last Nov. and it is in need of a total restore to bring her back to her original "old glory". After to long cold winter (I don't have a heated garage to work on her) it finally began to break here in the Detroit area and Day One of the restore was on Sunday. I removed all the electronics, windshield (frame is ok, glass is broken, if anyone has glass that will fit her, let me know!!!), gas tanks, battery. My question is at what point do I drop her off the trailer and onto a 2x12 platform (before or after I remove the floor)? I will be removing everything as she needs a new transom and I am assuming the core is bad so will be doing that as well. Thanks to eveyone on this site for the info. I have learned so much just following the threads!! More to come....
'76 Viper Bicentennial in the works

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Re: 1976 Bicentennial restore questions

I would get it supported before removing anything. I have a trailer with 6 bunks made for the boat so I left it on the trailer and it stayed straight.

New windshields are available from John Speath in Canada, I don't have his # right now but if you search I think it's been posted.

Good luck and start your own thread it's great motivation knowing other people are watching your progress.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

ccrick
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

I took mine off after I cut the floor out. I did take sone fof the rotted core out but it got pretty flimsy. Thats when I took it off. It was a lot lighter at that point and we just picked it up off the trailer. The floor was soaked and weighed a ton. That will be a cool boat when it's done for sure! :up:
1980 Viking
150 Black Max

ccrick
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Just a thought, does that pad have a hook? If it does, the plank wont work. Look down the side of the pad and see if it's straight or if it hooks downward at the last few feet. Some of the old ones were straight but not really shure what era. If it's flat the plank will work good. :boating:
Rick.
When you get it done, I expect to see it out in the swimmin hole over by the Raft!
Some good speed run water over there! :vking:

Check these guys out too for a wind sheild
http://www.pkmarine.com/
1980 Viking
150 Black Max

Topic Author
rjlehr13
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Thanks Rick. I looked and the pad is flat for about 7 feet starting at the transom and moving forward just past mid-ship. I am pulling the motor off this weekend and will hopefully drop her off the trailer...we will see what time permits of course. The motor was the original on th back of this boat-a 1976 Mercury 85 HP. The motor is for sale if anyone wants it. Looking to put a Johnson or Evinrude on the back-either a 120 or 140. The Bicentennial i grew up with had a 115 Johnson on the back and she just screamed! Any thoughts on the motor choice??

We will have to meet out in front of the Raft sometime, do a speed run, pull in and have a Raft burger and a beer!!

ccrick
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Merc inline 150 xs or something like that. Tower of power and keep that classic look on that boat. They just look cool :up:
Don't get me wrong, loopers are good engines. Iv'e had a ton of them and had no problems. Most of these boats originally merc powered. JMO It will be easyer to rig.
A raft special does sound good!
1980 Viking
150 Black Max

ScreaminVking78
Hydrostream Great - RIP
Hydrostream Great - RIP

i will have to say v6 merc for power but thats me i think an inline would be cool.
Owner of a 1978 Viking, Powered by a fire breathing 1978 Mod VP motor.

VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

How's the restore going?

Topic Author
rjlehr13
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Restore is going by slowly. It is summer time and I am chipping away at the core here and there. Been out on the cruiser and skiing behind my ski boat this summer, which takes away from restore time unfortunately. I am looking for a heated barn or shop for this winter to get her put back together. Be patient and I will get some more pics out here once I make some headway on the core. Thanks for checking :)

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post