Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

1976 Bicentennial Restore

Restoring your Hydrostream or just giving it a small makeover? What better place than to show off your project. Big or small.

VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Re: 1976 Bicentennial Restore

Sweet find. :up:

ccrick
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Prefecto!!! :up: :up: :boating:
1980 Viking
150 Black Max

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

Loving that motor. Awsome find. :up:
That will look killer on that viper.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

Surface Scratcher
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

HST4ME wrote:

Nothing less and nothing more than a 1976 150 inline. :D

Wow! Great looking motor!

Is the steering in good shape? That could save a lot of $$$ if it would transfer, and it's of that era too.

So, what are your plans for the white hull? :up:

HST4ME
Regular
Regular

He now has the ultimate hydrostream enthusiasts package. That boat done in proper form will have people standing around it all day at gatherings.

Topic Author
rjlehr13
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

I pulled the XS off the white boat last night and began removing things I need for the Bicentennial. The white Viper has a dual sterring system on it and will be removing that along with the gauges, and windshield. Once that is complete, I will drop the white boat off the trailer and put the white boat on the trailer that came with the Bicentennial. I will then be selling the Viper. Also, I will be putting on the back of the white Viper the 1976 850 Mercury that was on the back of the bicentennial originally. and sell it as a package. The hull on the white Viper is a 1975 and I think a Viper 1 hull. Looks pretty sound and the floor is solid as well. However, the core is probably shot and will most likely need replacing.
I should be done with removing the core on the bicentennial next week. Will be taking the weekend off as I am taking the family up north this weekend.
I have been looking at the red metal flake on the hull and seeing the gouges in the hull. When the core and floor are complete, I will flip the boat and fix the gouges. The problem I have is trying to match the metal flake. I almost think I may need to redo the entire hull with new flake, basically stripping the old flake off. I have been having a heck of a time trying to find info online on how to do metal flake. Everyone tells me its hard and is an art, however, I know I can figure it out, just need some guidance and direction. I want this boat to be original and mint and redoing the hull may be the only route. Any suggestions?
'76 Viper Bicentennial in the works

Topic Author
rjlehr13
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

This is the reason for my attachment to this boat. The below pic is me in my uncles boat in 1985. This was the boat I grew up in and loved this boat very much. He sold it in 1993 and I was 16 at the time. Only had enough money to either buy the boat or buy a car. Unfortunately I bought the car, the boat was sold and that was it. He then bought a Checkmate, which sucked big time. Ever since he sold the boat, I was on a mission to find one, fix it up, and have a picture with my son in the drivers seat when he is 7, which is how old I was when this pic was taken. My son is now 4.5 yrs old now, so hopefully I will have it done in the next two years (I better have it done next year!!!!) The looper on the back of my uncles boat was a 1975 115 Johnson. Made the boat run in the mid 60's. The 1500 XS Merc that will be on mine will probably get the boat to the upper 70's???

Now you know the reason for this restore. I am looking forward to taking her to various outings to meet all the folks out here on this forum. Thanks for all the input and encouragment!

'76 Viper Bicentennial in the works

HST4ME
Regular
Regular

Cool!

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

That's a way cool story behind your project! I give you props for making your dream come true. That is going to be one sweet package.

I sanded the gel off the bottom of my viper and it was a chore, I think I had over 80 hours in sanding.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Can't wait to see it done. You will get there. I'll be glad to take you back to the lake it came from and show it off if you want. I saw that boat many times on the Fox Lake chain in Illinois when I had my VNo1. I had my eye on it the whole time. What a cool project. If you can't find anyone and need a professional gel coat guy, pm me and I will give you the information. Bill

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post