Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

1976 Bicentennial Restore

Restoring your Hydrostream or just giving it a small makeover? What better place than to show off your project. Big or small.

VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Re: 1976 Bicentennial Restore

I was confused. I thought he bought the bicentennial in Fox Lake IL. That boat was on the Chain of Lakes in Fox Lake IL for many years. I get mixed up easily. Bill

Topic Author
rjlehr13
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Hi all-Hope everyone had a great holiday season. I finally pulled myself outside into the cold garage to continue the removal of the core. Since there is no heat in my garage, its hard to get out there in the dead of winter, however, I keep telling myself this is the best time of year to finish the removal of the core and do the nasty grinding work. All I have left ot remove is the core around the keel and between the stringers. So today I removed the core on the port side of the stringers. I have some pics, however, I am having a hard time uploading them since the max size picture you can upload is up to 2 MiB and all my pics are just over 2 MB and I don't know how to condense the file size. If you have any advice as to how to get pics attached, please let me know.

I did find that the stringers were bonded to the hull, then the core was put in around the strringers. What is the best way to copy the stringer and transpose it to a new sheet of plywood to build the new stringers? The old ones have to come out and I know they will be torn out in the removal process. Also, with the Merc 1500 XS going on the back of this boat, should I build knees that tie into the transom on the new stringers?

The old core in and around the keel is coming out easily. All of the core was mush (actually its frozen mush right now). Once I can figure out how to upload the pics, I have a few more questions for you all that are better to explain by looking at the pics. Rick, you available to stop by sometime to take a look?

Thanks everyone. Bear with me as we decided to put our house up for sale in the attempt to sell and move a bit more north out of the city and get a place with more land, and a barn (aka The Man Cave) with heat!
'76 Viper Bicentennial in the works

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

I host all my pictures on http://photobucket.com/. I don't have any pictures on my computer anymore they are all there and on a external hard drive. Once they are on there just copy the img code on the bottom of the picture and past in in your reply.

I found this foam to be real easy to make templates from.
As far as knees I would do something just because it's easy to do now.

I don't want to think about how those southerners grind in the heat, I hate the cold but it sure is nice to have the extra layers on when grinding.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

ccrick
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Hey Ryan! I'll be around all next weekend. Give me a call :up:
1980 Viking
150 Black Max

ConFuseee
Regular
Regular

check out my posts i'm restoring a bicentenial too :) Can't wait to see more
1976 Viper Bicentenial
Currently Restoring..

Topic Author
rjlehr13
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Well, I have not disappeared guys. Bathroom restore, house projects up the "ying-yang" has put the stream on hold since last winter. The project list around the house is over with and now onto a more important project...

The core is pretty much out, except for the core between the stringers and the stringers themsepves. As of tonight, it is all out now and will work on the stringer removal next.

The transom is out, ground down, and ready to go.

The amazing thing is I had some core that I removed yesterday and, after having this hull in the garage for 2 years, it still was wet!! Just amazing. The core was wet and rotted all the way up the bow to the tip of where the core ends in the bow.

Before I begin taking out the stringers and core around the stringers, I was wondering the best way to support "the hook" on the pad. Currently, the keel is sitting on a carpeted 2x12 from the transom all the way up to where the pad ends. Any suggestions??

This bow support....will I need to put this back in when the time comes? Also, since I have all this torn apart, should I take out the bow eye and put in new support around the eye? It seems strong, however, with the amount of wet core this boat has, I don't quite trust it....

Question on this pic. When I take out the stringers, will it be revealed to me what the "block" is around the drain plug? It does not appear to be wood around it and might be all "resin"??? Thoughts??

Thanks guys! :up:

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

rjlehr13 wrote:Question on this pic. When I take out the stringers, will it be revealed to me what the "block" is around the drain plug? It does not appear to be wood around it and might be all "resin"??? Thoughts??

Thanks guys! :up:
Mine was in fact wood. covered in glass and a lot of resin or whatever they poured in my boat. LoL

Looking awesome!

Oh yeah, That bow support, I took mine out and dont plan on putting one back in. Not unless someone else with better knowledge tells me its really really needed.
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

HST4ME
Regular
Regular

It's what they used to pull the hull out of the mold.

YDOC462
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

Looking good! Like hippies my drain was a block of wood covered in resin. Once the stringers are out you should be able to hack it out bit by bit. keep in mind the hull has a hump that contours behind it. I suggest changing that bow eye. I didn't split my hull on the vector and am still trying to recruit a lill person to climb up in the nose that can reach those bolts. Keep at it!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
81 vector....complete restore....1991 7 pedal 200 slightly modded
ALWAYS under construction

HYDROSTREAM HELLIONS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHE8wWZsFpw

Topic Author
rjlehr13
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Regarding the hook on the keel, what would be the best way to support the hook? Currently the keel is sitting on a 2x12x10 covered with carpet. Before I pull out the stringers and the core between the stringers, I want to be sure this hook is properly supported. Thanks!

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post