Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

My Varmint build

Restoring your Hydrostream or just giving it a small makeover? What better place than to show off your project. Big or small.

varmint1
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Re: My Varmint build

i'm looking for the emblems
81 Varmint 2.5 Mag 3
82 Vandal Merc 85
76 Viper Merc 150
84 Valero

427man
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

My Varmint build

Hello Greg -

I found your thread linked to one started by Jerry Rut31 about his 85 Voyager purchase and rebuild. I am making a deal with him on that boat. It needs to be clear coated again. I am quickly finding out that it will be pretty expensive to pay to have this done. I think it is something I can do myself based on what I see in your thread. Can you give me any advice on the products you used and the process you went through? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Your boat turned out beautiful and it looks like I see it for sale now on Craigslist.
Thanks, Darrel 202-468-6105
Darrel
1996 Four Winns U19 Unlimited w/351 Ford I/O
1981 Baja 17 BR w/1977 Merc 150 ELPT.
1977 HydroStream Viper w/1978 Merc 1500 XS :D

Topic Author
gregpro50
The new guy
The new guy

My Varmint build

Probably the best advice I can give is to use a good product. Dupont Imron clear is what was recommended to me but it wasn't available in my area so I went with what the local auto paint supplier had which was a PPG product. It looked great for several years but then started to flake off again. The clear I used was for cars. PPG did have a product meant for boats but they didn't have it in stock and it was really expensive. If I had it to do all over again I would have used the better product. I found it real easy to remove the existing clear coat with a simple razor blade. Scuff up the old gelcoat to give the clear coat some tooth to bite into, mask, clean, and spray the new clear. I believe I sprayed 3 coats but it will be whatever the manufacturer recommends.

Imron is nasty stuff to work with so make sure to wear a good respirator, gloves and suit.

427man
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

My Varmint build

Thanks for the advice. I am still doing research and have found a few fiberglass shops that know what they are doing and aren't unreasonable. I know my limitations, and paint is something I suck at (mechanicals are no problem).
Darrel
1996 Four Winns U19 Unlimited w/351 Ford I/O
1981 Baja 17 BR w/1977 Merc 150 ELPT.
1977 HydroStream Viper w/1978 Merc 1500 XS :D

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post