Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

77 vector recore

Restoring your Hydrostream or just giving it a small makeover? What better place than to show off your project. Big or small.

VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Re: 77 vector recore

I was told that foam will rot also if it gets wet. Just do a solid balsa job and it will last another 30 years even if left out and sunk a few times like my old one was. If you do balsa and get it right and keep it indoors and covered, it will out last you. Don't worry about it, just do the balsa. A good solid re-core will be better then the original because of better products and a personal seal job which is something that was not given in the haste to crank out boats. But again, that was what I went with. Rick has been real helpful and I like all his suggestions. :majesty: :majesty: Bill

Topic Author
265mercman
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

iam going to do the balsa core i have decided with epoxy resin...and i to take some tar sealent and put it on the inside for water stopage as well and a whole in the front of the bow with a built in fan that i can kick on and off for moister dryer :lol: and iam going with center steer with a hydro steering with my front seat in the front and just my to buckets in the rear 3 seater is all i need no kids just my and my g/f no one else really rides in the boat to scared of it when it goes to chine walking lol but iam going to work on the recore some more tomorw and get it in my shop and get some balsa out

and will it be supporeted ok on my trailer the bunks are at the strakes next to the pad and the transom is all the way on the trailer pretty much do i need to support it more or will that be ok motor is still on it as i will probally not be taking it off any comments and suggestions greatly apprecited as always thanks everyone for chiming in

steven
79 vector missing in action!!!!!

2006 vking center steer

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Remove the motor for sure, I have 6 bunks on my trailer and left it on and it was straight after.

I thought about the fan idea for my vegas but the viper I just let sit up for a while.
The neighbors sure look at me funny when I do this.

I like the 3 seater plan.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Topic Author
265mercman
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

yea i figured the 3 seater is plenty in more than that its just to much weight i had 4 people in mine two of which was close to 300 and iam 220 and my 135 g/f it got out of the water good but that was it i couldnt get my motor to turn over 6200 when it will usually turn way more than that i will take the motor off in a couple of days my shop is way to full 2 dirtbikes and two fourwheelers a riding mower another xr4 150 hanging and a bottom plow she is packed lol iam not going to tear in more of the core out till i get the motor off so might be a few weeks till i follow up on the post and i love the viper and carbon fiber....i am thinking i might repaint mine agiain with black for water line white on top with red pearl to match my seats and gauges and truck and the black windshield would keep the black in it for the accent to the bottom side thanks for all the help have a great weekend and be safe if your going to be on the water dont drink and drive...........sip and cruise

2006 vking center steer

Topic Author
265mercman
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

ok so i worked on the vector today for about 5 hours got the motor and jackplate off and set aside then i worked on the transom got it out and just need to clean up the wood alittle still stuck on the piece of fiberglass in the back but pretty much ready then monday iam going to startworking on the rest of my floor getting the core out of it not much left then just recore it and get it wet..........

so do i need to get my stringer ready and start coring everything and do my transom at the same time or do the transom and then start on everything else kinda curious so heres some pics

i acceidently cut out the side of the boat when i was cut the old fiberglass out to remove the transom shouldnt be that bad some resine and dbs on the outside and inside should be like new you can see in the pic were iam pointing at it

2006 vking center steer

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

I did core, transom, stringers, then floor. It doesn't mater what order core and transom are done in, but they need to be done before stringers if you're going over the core with your stringers.

If that 200 efi is the motor you're running it looks like you can take the black boxes off of it and retime to 25*. The top is the advance modual and the side is the oil injection alarm. If there is another on the other side it's your rev limiter. It looks like the oil tank has been removed already.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Topic Author
265mercman
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

hey hey now iam not too much on the outboards i had my motor built by jacos marine they hold 22 world speed records but let me see tell me more about the boxes on the motor and can you give me a close up picture and ill take one of mine of both sides tomm and u tell me what i need to do and how do i re time it to 25 is it advanced or retard on the timing like i said i never messed with these out boards to much just learning little nick nacs here and there i know what a motor is post to do iam a diesel mechanic and can tell you just about anything you want to know about a cummins engine but would like to see what your talking about and would it help me and if so would love to do it tell me what side the boxes is on and ill take some pics and help you out with helping me lol and yes the oil tank has already been removed i dont trust them darn things i know if i mix it......its geting oil in lol and yess thats my 200 and the other is my 150xr4 i appreciate the help you have been very knowledgable 77viper and i respect all you have accoplished and help with others as well thanks

steven

2006 vking center steer

ccrick
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Yea, I used foam and I've been beating the snot out of it. I still don't have any flat out numbers yet bit was able to achieve 67 with 3 people and the kitchen sink in the boat. Heres my thread: http://www.hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=85
keep up the good work! :boating:
1980 Viking
150 Black Max

Topic Author
265mercman
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

ok so i read your whole post rick all 11 pages lol and got some good ideas and i tell you iam going with foam in mine too now rotting and good floation.... were i run my boat at perryville marine on the tennessee river its only ruff like 6 days out of the year memeorial day weekend and the 4th of july the rest i can pretty much shag a......so foam it is

and my transom i need it 1 1/2 thick and when i put it in do i just lay it on there and pull my old fiberglass up too it and then just start laminating it in place till dry and how much matting and resin i was thinking resin double bias stitch mat then one more of the same so it would be two layers of matting and resin that should bee good then will have some more in it when i run my stringers in it

and what do yall do for the holes you drill in the transom do you seal them some how with the bolts it it or what i am curious are they just sticking out or do they go all the way from the inside all the way thru to the outside kinda dont know what to do on mine i had to cut mine off wouldnt come loose and what foam did you use and did you have to cut the foam in small pieces for the low spots in the bottom were the strakes are mine as a v shape were they are on each side of the stringer i was thinking about filling them with matting and resin

and were did you buy materials at ive been looking at merton's and found one place call jamestowndistribeters or how ever you spell it they are a little cheaper thanks for the comments ive been trying to get it going iam going to order my stuff probally tuesday or so and get the rest of the core out thiss week and next week when supplies arrive starting pieceing back together thanks rick..chet and everyone for the help :up:

ssteven

2006 vking center steer

Topic Author
265mercman
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

ok yep going with foam pvc block little more exspensive then balsa but iam going to make up the difference going with polyester general purpose resin and cab-o-sil thickener 7 yards of 50 inch 24oz dbs matting 10 gallons of resin
12 inch 9oz cloth tape 50 yard roll 10 sheets of foam coring 50 inch chopped strand matting 6 yards 5 gallons of cabosil

830 dollars not including shipping but that should be enough to do it all then the cost of my floor and stringers which want be too much should be getting a good start on it in the next couple of weeks

thank this is enough materials to do it all including transom

2006 vking center steer

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post