Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Sonik's 1976 Apricot Viper

Show off your Hydrostream. Whether its new, old or somewhere in between, What better place than here to showcase it.

Topic Author
Sonik
Regular
Regular

Sonik's 1976 Apricot Viper

I'm not sure if I've ever thown a post up here to tell the story and show some pics of my boat....and considering I'm jonesin' pretty bad to get on the water, ( not happenin' for a while) the memories will have to do for now....

Some of you know the story behind this boat, but for those who do not....here goes....

I'm the 3rd owner of this 1976 original, unmolested "apricot" gel Viper, the 2nd owner had it for only 6 months and having never used it, sold it to me. The original owner had this boat on a 40hp limit lake with a 40hp OMC on it from 1976 until 2002-2003 when it sat for several years in a garage before being sold to owner #2, and then sold again to me. My college roommate came over one day and said he remembers the boat because he grew up on the lake where it resided. I'm still trying to track the orignal owner down so I can drag it over to his place for old-time sake and show him its been saved.

Boat had a 25" 115 V4 X-flow on it when I bought it and it ran well but looked ridiculous. Off comes the 115, on goes the XR2 150 Merc V-6. My knee found a soft spot in the core near the splashwell during the V-6 rigging process, so the rest, as they say is history. 14 months and much $$$, blood, sweat, tears, and miles later, I ended up with a solid boat. Boat was recored with balsa / poly resin with several layers of 1708 going down before the core. The original layup was horribly dry and several of us are suprise it didn't fall apart long before it made it to that point. The floor is now 3/4 marine ply instead of 1/2 for some additional torsional rigidity and knees have been added to the transom. Props go to Lynn (Capt. Insane-O / HST4ME) for finishing up my project for me. I was afraid I'd end up punching holes all over the bottom of the original gel and just wanted it done right with minimal touch-ups. And considering all the trouble Lynn had with it, I'm glad I didn't try and tackle it myself. Thanks for helping me save this one for me Lynn. You're a rockstar!

Fresh rigging and 2 seasons of tinkering later netted me 83.7mph @ 6300RPM turning a 30P ET through a 1.87 200 case.....all with a stock 2.0 liter XR2 150. The little guy ran really well and was a great stepping stone to learn what the boat wanted and how to drive small pad-V boats at moderate to high speeds. Those with minimal seat time looking to buy a small pad boat and hang a big motor on it beware. I had spent alot of time in bigger faster boats but the Viper is an all-together different animal when strung out across the lake. And it opened my eyes quickly that I still had some skills to learn. But I will say that mastering the little guy is quite rewarding when you run away from that "bigger, faster, and more expensive" boat on the lake. :up:

Fall 2011 the boat found itself with new power, a slightly warmed up 2.5 200EFI fish motor (Tight heads and no rev limiter). BIG difference between the 2.0 liter and the 2.5. I have only spent an hour or so testing last fall, but in that short time, I learned its ridiculously faster on plane and all the way through 80+. After getting reacquainted, my 3rd pass netted a 92.5@ 7K turning a DAH 28 small ear chopper behind a 1.87 sporty, 2.5 setback 5/8" above the pad....and it was still pulling when I ran out of balls....probably had 2-5 more left if I had kept my foot in it. I now have a baseline at very least. It needs a worked ET or cleaver to go any faster with me in it. The chopper bites hard but its a little spooky on the big end.

The boat now rests in good hands in my absence and is being flipped to have the bottom sharpened up and a fresh coat of black gel applied to the pad out to the 1st set of strakes. The pad did have some surface spider cracks I assume from prior to the recore as the pad core was mush. So, to thwart any delamination of the gel on the high-speed running surface, I figured it can't hurt.

EDIT: Ok...rehosted some images.....lets try this again......I just realized you can double-zoom all the pics to see in full size....neato...

Last edited by Sonik on May 09, 2012 2:33 am, edited 5 times in total.

1976 Hydrostream Viper - 2.5 EFI

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sonik's 1976 Apricot Viper

Boat looks awesome Jeff! I love the color of that thing. Now we need some good videos when you get back. :up:
Sonik wrote:EDIT: having pic posting difficulties now......grrrrrr... Linked from offsite even. What gives Kevin???
They are all working here just fine. :up:
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

varmint1
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Hippie I ain't seein no pic either

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
81 Varmint 2.5 Mag 3
82 Vandal Merc 85
76 Viper Merc 150
84 Valero

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, there not working for me on the mobile site.

Ok, I figured it out I think, on my computer I stay logged in to S&F all the time and when I log out of S&F I can no longer see the pics here.

Jeff, try using photobucket or something and see if that works.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

varmint1
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

I got pics now, Sonic you have an awesome Viper, y'all did one heck of job saving another Stream, good luck this season and keep us posted on how it does with more seat time and props

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
81 Varmint 2.5 Mag 3
82 Vandal Merc 85
76 Viper Merc 150
84 Valero

RussF
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

I knew the story from before BUT its niceeee hearin it again Thanks Jeff :up:

YDOC462
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

unbelievable boat and cool story. thanks for sharing :up:
81 vector....complete restore....1991 7 pedal 200 slightly modded
ALWAYS under construction

HYDROSTREAM HELLIONS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHE8wWZsFpw

transomstand
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

I think he made it all up :der:
transomstand
Original owner 1975 Ventura II SE

idvette
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Love the colour and the depth on the flake!

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
1988 Canadian Edition Vision Sold
1990 Hydrostream Virage Stage 3 Turbo

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Man those orange streams look good :o

Jeff that's one fine viper you have and I can't wait to meet up with you once you get back.

Thank you for your service and stay safe :up:
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post