Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Sonik's 1976 Apricot Viper

Show off your Hydrostream. Whether its new, old or somewhere in between, What better place than here to showcase it.

Topic Author
Sonik
Regular
Regular

Re: Sonik's 1976 Apricot Viper

Thank you for all the kind word gents. I want to throw some more pictures in here to provide some perspective on the whole core issue as yet another reminder for the newer guys that may not have a good handle on these boats and what they require. For example, my Viper has never been cleared or regelled and has a 100% original finish along with the original black back-to-back 1" pleated vinyl interior to include the pads and splashwell cover. I, along with a few others, thought that there was no way a boat that had been cared for so well over the years could possibly have a compromised core. We ALL were sadly mistaken. When I started cutting ino it, I was amazed at how little good core was left and how far the moisture had traveled.

Considering at the time I was hanging a V-6 on it, and had I not stumbled across that "soft spot" with my knee during rigging, the end result could have been a boat in pieces on the bottom of the lake, lenghty hospital stays, multiple surgeries, and significant financial liability if passengers were present. Please don't think I'm preaching because I'm not. I kinda treat the Hydrostream community like my soldiers in that, I can't go to sleep at night unless I know I've given them the tools and the training to do their jobs effectively and safely. Same goes for community.....I just think sometimes its necessary to remind people that the price of going fast can be dear....even more so in a boat with an unknown core condition. So for those of you that may stumble across a pristine original and think maybe you were one of the few lucky ones to have a solid boat...and are looking to lay down some big numbers.....you better be willing to bet your health and that of your family and friends as well if you decide to not dig further and make sure. If I had run this boat 90+ the way it was, I can all but promise that some of you would have been reading an article about me......See below....

Starboard side bow section under the "air tank"...

Port side bow section under "air tank"...

Starboard side under seatbox and drivers footwell area....

Moisture surfacing between stringers after I did a test cut waaaaaay outside of that area....

More test cuts.....more water and mush

1976 Hydrostream Viper - 2.5 EFI

VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Re: Sonik's 1976 Apricot Viper

Well put Sonik. I hope everyone reads this and takes your advise. Just to know it is done correctly was worth the wait, work and expense. Thanks for your service and get back safe. I can't wait to see the boat in person. Bill

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post