Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Viper

Show off your Hydrostream. Whether its new, old or somewhere in between, What better place than here to showcase it.

Topic Author
Habiv
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Re: Viper

HST4ME wrote:The motor will go into guardian mode if the water pressure drops below parameters. I'd run a 26 trophy or the like for top end so you don't have to listen to the damn warning horn some *** of an engineer designed in when you pass 5800.

A nose cone will void your warranty, but you are'nt going fast enough to really justify one, even though the profile of those gearcases are awfull. You need to air that thing out too.. :boating:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXxq6l3pK_g&feature=related
WOW...I guess I need to go up with the trim a bit :shock:

What does "guardian Mode" do...reduse power, shut off, etc?

hydrostream76
Regular
Regular

a chopper will make your whole boat "lift" as well, then it's a balancing act
i think guardian mode is a buzzer that goes off till your motor cools down .... not sure
lol i've had that buzzer go off on a few motors
dunno

Topic Author
Habiv
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

This is one of the props I was given when i bought the boat (14.25x26)...I have yet to try it because i didn't think the old motor would have enough umph to push it. I think i might try it with the new motor. I was able to cary over the five blade to the new motor, so hopefully this prop will fit as well. I think it is a round ear? Does this look correct?

Last edited by Habiv on Aug 10, 2010 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

If the motor goes into guardian mode it will alarm and rpm's will be reduced until the alarm situation is taken care of, if it continues it can shut the motor down.

The prop shaft is the same.

That looks like a mercury chopper prop but they didn't make them in a 11.25" diameter at least I think the smallest was the "small ear" at 14"

Here is a list of mercury's chopper props. http://69.24.70.63/adamsdock/chopper.html
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Topic Author
Habiv
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

77viper wrote:If the motor goes into guardian mode it will alarm and rpm's will be reduced until the alarm situation is taken care of, if it continues it can shut the motor down.

The prop shaft is the same.

That looks like a mercury chopper prop but they didn't make them in a 11.25" diameter at least I think the smallest was the "small ear" at 14"

Here is a list of mercury's chopper props. http://69.24.70.63/adamsdock/chopper.html
Oops, I wrote the size incorrectly (I fixed the above post). The above prop is 14.25x26...so maybe it is a "small ear"

Topic Author
Habiv
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

So, I went to the lake yesterday. I used the same 5 blade prop but tried trimming the motor up a bit more...man does it get sketchy. The boat felt like it was all over the place. I really had to counter steer to control the walking. The weird thing was that I was only getting to about 55mph and then it started to feel uncontrolable. This time out there were two of us in the boat and one tank of gas in the back, so maybe the rear was a little light?..but I don't think that's the case. I think I just need to grow some bigger...I think I am going to try the 3 blade I have next time and see how the boat runs.

ccrick
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Habiv wrote:So, I went to the lake yesterday. I used the same 5 blade prop but tried trimming the motor up a bit more...man does it get sketchy. The boat felt like it was all over the place. I really had to counter steer to control the walking. The weird thing was that I was only getting to about 55mph and then it started to feel uncontrolable. This time out there were two of us in the boat and one tank of gas in the back, so maybe the rear was a little light?..but I don't think that's the case. I think I just need to grow some bigger...I think I am going to try the 3 blade I have next time and see how the boat runs.
Sounds like your starting to air it out! Just control the chaos if it's chining. Steering system, soilid mounts, jack??? 3 blade will be faster but it may chine worse. It takes seat time to learn the chine. It also meens your going fast. Are your speed #'s gps #'s? Try and get another video so we can see the attitude of the hull. The previous was way flat. :boating:
1980 Viking
150 Black Max

Topic Author
Habiv
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

ccrick wrote: Sounds like your starting to air it out! Just control the chaos if it's chining. Steering system, soilid mounts, jack??? 3 blade will be faster but it may chine worse. It takes seat time to learn the chine. It also meens your going fast. Are your speed #'s gps #'s? Try and get another video so we can see the attitude of the hull. The previous was way flat. :boating:
The boat has dual steering cables, a 6 inch jack plate and the motor has the stock mounts. I just started using the speedo in the boat because the new motor has it attached to the lower unit. I used to bring a car GPS with me but that got to be a pain. Maybe I will bring the GPS with me next time just to compare and see if the two are in sync.

All of the settings are different now with the new motor so I am still fooling around with where to set the jack plate. Unfortunately, I am 45 minutes from the lake I go to, so I don't get to go all of the time. I am making progress though...and having fun!

The two vids above are with the old motor. I will see if I can get some with the new motor, but it is tough :(

hydrostream76
Regular
Regular

you're gonna want to raise your motor as much as you can
it does help with the walking the higher the motor ...
vipers are light you may want to have 4 ppl in the boat while you practice
take everybody out with the chopper
or at least a passenger
you want all the weight in the back don't worry how much gas you have, it can be full
the battle is holding it there , it's practice ....
it's fun, you'll get it, and it's a boat you'll never get bored of

Topic Author
Habiv
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Thanks for all of the help. I am going away to Michigan next week so I won't be able to drive the boat until the week after. I will let you all know how it goes the next time out :D

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post