Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

87 Valero YT O/B-not for sale now, getting recore

Topic Author
shellyisland
Regular
Regular

87 Valero YT O/B-not for sale now, getting recore

Hydrostream Valero YT Open Bow in need of recore.
Well, we have to repair basement wall, pay for summer camp for oldest etc. I simply can't afford it all right now.
I have tons of $ into this boat but thought it would be best to post where I knew she would be restored.
I will provide basic details, any questions or pictures needed...let me know.

Trailer: 87 Cavalier galvanized. New tires, rims, tongue jack and winch. In great shape, no rust.
Engine: 87 Merc 175. Professionally maintained. New stator, plugs, impeller, low water bypass redone correctly w/ braided stainless etc. Compression good in every cylinder and it runs great.
The boat: Great for an 87. Upholstery was redone professionally and looks great. Exterior has been well maintained and always washed, waxed, covered and under roof. It does need a recore and center rear floor was carefully removed to see extent of repair needed...you can see what you're getting into :)
Props: I have three stainless. My favorite is Trophy Plus...great all around 4 blade. Also have Laser 2 and High 5 that have been run on this boat and work great depending on need. Trial and error already done for these props, one power, one high speed, one mid-range all on this boat...they weren't cheap.
Let me know if you are interested and I will completely honest with condition, needs get back on the water and be enjoyed. I just can't watch it sit in our breezeway and rot.
Last edited by shellyisland on Jul 13, 2011 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pnorton
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Re: 87 Valero YT O/B w/ 87 175 Merc $3300

I'm pretty interested in this boat!
What are the hours on the motor? and the compression?
Also where is this boat located?

Image Image

Topic Author
shellyisland
Regular
Regular

Hi,
I don't have an hour meter on the dash; however, the motor was completely gone over and maintained by Performance Marine here in PA. The compression is good, every cylinder. We are located in Camp Hill, PA...2 miles from Harrisburg.
That being said, I am not comfortable selling this boat to anyone without them actually seeing it. It's a great boat and runs great, but it needs a major recore.
My house needs a "recore" too, hence the original post. Well, it appears that we will qualify disaster assistance for the 20-30k in foundation repair...so I am not in such a rush to sell. If you are still interested in the boat and want to see it, I would certainly honor the listing price. I will be deleting the "for sale" post. Thanks for your understanding, Jeff

ckandcole
The new guy
The new guy

I hadn't seen any posts in a while was wondering if you actually sold the Valero YT Bowrider, or if you still have it. I live on the I-81 coridor in Va and go past Camp Hill on my way to Bass Pro Shops in Harrisburg, or if I have to go to Newberry Commons for work. Would love to see the boat, would probably recore with Carbon fiber and Kevlar. Is the transom Ok or should I do it at the same time?
Thanks,
Chris

Topic Author
shellyisland
Regular
Regular

Re: 87 Valero YT O/B-not for sale now, getting recore

I actually hauled her out to Whitehall, PA on Saturday for recore. I just "bit the bullet" and accepted I'll have way more in it than it's worth. The Hydrostream way it seems :)
I researched recore options...love the Kevlar and carbon fiber idea, is it feasible though? Seems to me, not an expert, that carbon fiber wouldn't flex at all. Not sure how to incorporate Kevlar...but definitely strong. I was trying to avoid balsa at all costs.
Found a guy that uses neocore...won't ever rot :D Same core material used in Chaparral's. I'll post pics of progress and of transom braces soon. Mine has no transom issues, but plan to brace anyway. My issue was the core, specifically...it wasn't there. My "break even" point with her is honestly now over 13k...with an older engine.
If you are determined to get a Hydro don't forget about jaxed.com for search and just plan on recore if not done. I saw four Hydros this guy has done...amazing :boating:

UncleBoatMan
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Re: 87 Valero YT O/B-not for sale now, getting recore

Shelly,

Who is your guy?

Thanks

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post