Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

72 hydro stream viper

Chat about anything boating or non boating here. Try to keep it clean.

Topic Author
Fat Tony
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

72 hydro stream viper

Hi , I'm new here- I just bought a 1972 hydrostream viper with a 150 merc on it. I have never owned a boat like this before. I was wondering what speeds could I get out of this combo? The boat has been professionally beefed up in the transum area. It does have a hydraulic jack plate. I have driven flat bottom drag boats before (I currently own one), are these boats stable in choppy water? I got turned on to this boat by the green viper on you tube racing the river rocket. Any advice would be great. Thanks...Chris :boating:

79ViperInProgress
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Re: 72 hydro stream viper

First thing as far as safety is do u know if the core has ever been redone? I have a 1979 viper and my core looked like mush when i removed my floor lol. Most likely if it hasnt been done, u will need to replace the core. This site has lots of info and helpful members to get you through it if need be. And with the 150 merc im assuming ul be doing high 50's since its the inline six and so old but im not sure. Depends on your prop choice.

I have also watched that video many times and love the way that viper looks. I wish i could afford a Vmaxx like his for my viper lol. Good luck with your viper and welcome to the site :)

[ Post made via Android ] Image

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Travis your catching on quick I see, yes check the core. A '72 is a viper1 or original, they were changed a bit in '75 with some pad changes as well as more pronounced "wings" in the back.

A v-bottom is a whole new ball game from a flaty. You will need to learn how to balance the boat on the pad so take it slow or it will hurt you. I find myself in the air more than the water if it gets choppy.

Sonic was low 80's with a 2.0 150 if I remember correctly but that was after a bunch of set up work.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

79ViperInProgress
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Im trying to learn haha and giving any advice i think might help.

Should be a sweet boat for you once you get used to the style of it. Most videos ive seen make it look like 90% of the viper wont be in the water so it should be interesting. I cant wait to get mine on the water as well!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Topic Author
Fat Tony
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Hi, I am not sure about the core, according to the old owner he had gutted the boat and had restored it for the last 2 years. I had asked him if there were any soft spots stress wear or cracks etc. he had said the boat is very solid. He was the second owner. The merc is a 2000 XR 60 150 . I have not gotten the boat yet. Its still in transit. I had asked him how fast the boat went -he said on a lake in Texas he had gotten it up to 75 , I asked if that was full throttle - he said no but he did not feel comfortable going any faster. I dont know much about these boats can they take the abuse of a big motor in calm seas? I will be using it in Long Island sound. Some days it is calm as glass- other days its choppy. To be honest I would like to get this boat to do about 100mph. My flat bottom does just over that- but it feels like you are riding on cement. It is so uncomfortable. What else should I be concerned about this boat? How can I post a picture ? Thanks for all your advice.

RussF
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

Welcome..............there are alot of guys runnin streams on the island

Topic Author
Fat Tony
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Hi RussF, that is one cool looking boat! Forgive me if I sound stupid but is that a viper? What year and length? How fast is it? Like I said Im new to this type of boat. Boy I cant wait till it gets here!! I live on the water in Asharoken (on long island) and when I woke this morning the water was as smooth as glass.

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

Russ boat is a ThunderStream (I think thats the name, I forgot. Its an exact copy of a Hydrostream VKing) and its 18 feet.
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

RussF
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

alot of streams on the other side ......Freeport to West Babylon area......... their havin a big getogether over there on the 29 in memory of Allen,he was on this site and Scream and Fly

Topic Author
Fat Tony
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Hi all, I spoke to the former owner- I asked him about the core- he told me the core was fine . I expressed to him that I was concerned about the condition of the hull. He assured me the hull was near perfect- the only thing he did was have the transum beefed up. I hope he is not lying. I guess they dont run hydros on the northshore- I havent seen any.

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post