Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Boating in Virginia??

Chat about anything boating or non boating here. Try to keep it clean.

Topic Author
vectorpilot
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Boating in Virginia??

Hey just wondering if anyone in here is boating in eastern Virginia.

dan twiford
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Re: Boating in Virginia??

Yes. I have been boating in and around Norfolk, Portsmouth, Chesapeake and Va. Beach Va. all of my life. Our family has a history of racing boats in these areas. I recently bought a Vulture and will be running it on the Lafayette river as well as the Intra Coastal waterway. Both placces offer up a great place to have some fun airing out a Stream. If you want to hook up to boat contact me at dttva@aol.co.
Regards, Dan Twiford
1981 Vulture powered by a Merc 225

kytekeith
Regular
Regular

Every chance i get !
Lived in Tappahannock Va. On the rappahannock river all my life. Spent alot of weekends at narrows marina on Gwynns Island. Fished Va. and Maryland waters in the Chesepeake. Spent nights anchored off Va. beach. Va. has alot to offer a boater no matter what kind of boat.

Topic Author
vectorpilot
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

I mostly boat in the Chickahominy River off of the James. Sometimes I travel over to King & Queen County and go out on the Mattaponi. Virginia is a boaters dream!

kytekeith
Regular
Regular

You should try the Rappahannock some day. I haven't been on the mat.or james for a while. Used to go to **** Cambel's for the parties, don't know if he still has them or not. Have you been to Cambel's place? As a kid the family would go to Ed Allens for weekends, it was a nice place back then.I went there about a year ago and it was a run down dump, if they haven't sold it or closed it they should. I went to Rock a Hock at the same time and was very impressed with it. I didn't have my boat with me that time but will next time. Are you familiar with these places?As far as the james havn't cruised it for about 12 years. When i lived in Richmond I would make it my after work cruise, mostly from Dutch gap on down. Sometimes I would put in at Maidens which is above the small dam close to Richmond.It was crystle clear water but enough river to ride far. Have you been to these places? I still prefer the Rapp. There is alot of shoreline and creeks to explore. The fact that I grew up here and have alot of friends along the river make it more fun also. What part of Va. do you live Vector pilot?

Topic Author
vectorpilot
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

I live in Williamsburg. I have put in at Rockahock quite a few times and besides congestion always been happy. I've only been to the upper James a few times, I also havent spent alot of time out there. Yeah, Ed Allens is still a total dump but its blocked off thanks to the dam. If I dont put in at Rockahock I put i at Taylors Marina only problem is its a mud hole if any rain the week before. Both on the Chick. I might have to give it a try one day just to cruise. If you make it on the Chickahominy keep you eyes peeled for a yellow and black vector, that'll be me!

shellyisland
Regular
Regular

I just bought my first Hydrostream in Portsmouth, VA. I grew up on water also, in PA. Mom was a school teacher, so we moved to Shelly Island every summer. Susquehanna River near TMI if that sounds familiar.

kytekeith
Regular
Regular

Do you live around portsmouth now? what stream did you buy in portsmouth?

shellyisland
Regular
Regular

No, drove down from Camp Hill, PA on a Friday. Barely got the the boat home in one-piece, through rush-hour then doing 80 on the beltways to keep up with traffic :0(
It's the blue Valero YT OB in Boat Show section.
We plan on taking the kids to the Smithsonian Air and Space next summer...would be great to do some boating and make a weekend of it. A lot of historic events occurred on the rivers you were talking about.

Curious, what is Ed Allen's?

kytekeith
Regular
Regular

Ed Allen's used to be a nice marina campground on the Chickohomony river not to far from Richmond Va. My uncle kept his houseboat there when I was A kid. It was a big name back then for good fishing and boating. I was introduced to go fast boating there when I took a ride in a donzi. I was hooked. going fast ever since.

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post