Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

replacement engine suggestions

Chat about anything boating or non boating here. Try to keep it clean.

Topic Author
YDOC462
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

replacement engine suggestions

hey guys ..........as some of yall know i blew the motor the other day. thought id see what yalls input would be on a replacement power head. heres a few options ive come up with:

1. i found a 2.4 200 carb complete motor for 1500.00 that i could get and rob all parts i need to get mine back together ( not sure what the comp # are)

2. theres a 225 promax drop on powerhead locally for 3500.00, just need adapter plate and tuner. (great #s)

3. theres also a 260 virgin drop on locally 4500.00 ( great #s)

ive also seen some bridgeport powerhead and 2.5 200 blocks online

these are just a few options i ran across.

im trying to decide on going back with a carb motor or going on and making the swap to EFI. also whether to stick with the 2.4 or switch to a 2.5.

i think that "cost wise" its the same or cheaper to find a drop on powerhead rather than piecing a block back together (after labor cost)

im leaning hard towards the pro max 225. just thought id see what yalls suggestion were.

thanks cody
81 vector....complete restore....1991 7 pedal 200 slightly modded
ALWAYS under construction

HYDROSTREAM HELLIONS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHE8wWZsFpw

Azulihawx
The new guy
The new guy

Re: replacement engine suggestions

If you're looking for maximum speed then obviously the carb motors are the way to go.But as a Pro Max owner for the last 15 years,I can't recommend
them enough.Other than the routine water pump,fuel filter,spark plug and gear lube replacement,I've only had to replace the starter once and the
voltage regulator once.The cap on the engine-mounted oil reservoir cracked.That's it.Still starts easy and runs like a champ.And my local mechanic
said that these "pretty much run forever".One vote for the mighty Pro Max!

RussF
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

the 260 has to be rebuilt after so many hours and its got what 16 amp charging system....................me I like the Pro Max cause its the stock,simple version racin motor

265mercman
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

iam gona chime in on this too as iam looking for a motor me and ydoc was talking about the promax and optimax neither of us really new the differance as there is so many types of motors ive been looking at the 250 optimax xs would like to hear something about them as well
79 vector missing in action!!!!!

2006 vking center steer

RussF
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

I think those Optimax 250XS are over 500 lbs.............................other then that there great motors for a bigger boat.................my Pro Max is 375 lbs

Topic Author
YDOC462
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

RussF wrote:I think those Optimax 250XS are over 500 lbs.............................other then that there great motors for a bigger boat.................my Pro Max is 375 lbs

ive read/heard nothing but good about the promax. reliable....longevity....power....etc etc etc theyre great for lighter boats where the optimax is for more load carrying.

HYDROSTREAM HELLIONS

265mercman
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

250 promax is what iam in the market for then hehehe whats the going price on one of these iam going to be readdy to buy for sure after the holidays got one loan to pay off then debt free be all hydrostream then going to get it ready for a boat wrap here soon gota call the guy next weekend and work out a price and going to get my windshield installed here in the next few weeks also
79 vector missing in action!!!!!

2006 vking center steer

RussF
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

you mean an Optimax Pro XS 250...going to be alot of weight for a VKing............but I ve seen pics of some......a guy on S&F has the 3.0 liter v6 200 HP on his
Last edited by RussF on Nov 12, 2012 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Topic Author
YDOC462
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

265mercman wrote:250 promax is what iam in the market for then hehehe whats the going price on one of these iam going to be readdy to buy for sure after the holidays got one loan to pay off then debt free be all hydrostream then going to get it ready for a boat wrap here soon gota call the guy next weekend and work out a price and going to get my windshield installed here in the next few weeks also

:up: :up: :up: alright man keep us posted.

HYDROSTREAM HELLIONS

Azulihawx
The new guy
The new guy

Another advantage the Promax has over the Optimax (besides lighter weight) is simplicity.The Promax has the benefits of fuel and oil injection,but
is unencumbered by the added complexity of the Optimax' emissions-reducing high-pressure induction system.That said,the latest generation of Optimax motors are by all accounts great-running motors.The 3.2 Stroker is indeed the object of my desire (not for my Valero,but for any of the 20'
Hydrostream hulls).

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post