Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Not gloating but I just had to post...

Chat about anything boating or non boating here. Try to keep it clean.

Topic Author
74vector
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Not gloating but I just had to post...

....this picture. I was at the Scream and Fly CT river run and boy did they click off a PERFECT picture of my 74 Vector/ 74 Merc 1500......
now wanna hear a HORROR story.....??? On the way home from the river run I stopped to see my mom (89) so I slipped the cover on while parked. I needed gas when I left so, I stopped around the corner to fill up. Guy at station went beserk when I started to remove the cover ( I don't trailer with cover on)...so he helped me. The cover loops around the bow eye so, boat has to be unhooked so we did THAT...in the ensuing flood of gas jockey excitement gassing up oil check windshield wash, cover folding etc...... the winch hook never went back ON.
Miles later...tired...in the dark... on the highway...approaching a bridge.... I noticed (MIRACULOUSLY) the bow of the boat flying in the air....HOLY SH&^%T .... I slammed on the brakes coming to a stop just before the lane restriction at the bridge....I got out and looked at the boat sitting nearly VERTICLE, I mean bow sitting HIGH in the air... smelling burning PLASTIC...tractor trailer trucks wizzing by....I ran to the rear expecting a HUGE skid mark of previously perfect Hydrostream bottom and a mostly missing lower unit/prop BUT, unbelievably the boat had just started skidding on the SKEG, the odor was burning paint on the skeg. The skeg was ground perfectly straight to about 3 inches below the bullet, the paint was burnt in a perfect 1/2 inch strip above the grind line...... the prop, well one blade had just a nick, I mean a nick, like you would not notice it unless you really LOOKED nick...that's it. I hooked the bow and winched the boat back on....pulled my pants off and threw my now dirty underwear away. Holy crap another micro-second and the boat would have been off the end of the trailer..poof, gone....
LESSON: ONLY people who know what they are doing should help, DO NOT get distracted when it matters...Don't do stuff TIRED...DOUBLE check EVERYTHING.
Wow, was I lucky it would have been a tragic end to a great day with the scream and fly guys.
As a follow up, I got a blank Merc skeg cut it down to size and had it welded, all is painted and fine, total cost was about $200 bucks, got off EASY, like nothing happened. Ironicly if the boat blew off the trailer at the instant I was crossing that bridge it might have fallen into the river below....the river I live on...just a few miles downstream from the bridge...no kidding.
Randy
Attachments
stream ct river run.jpg
stream ct river run.jpg (103.36 KiB) Viewed 3986 times

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Not gloating but I just had to post...

Huge sucker for green! That has to be the most beautiful hydrostream I have ever seen! Well, there was this boss moss one once that I fell in love with.

I love it!
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

varmint1
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Beautiful boat, glad you seen it befor it was to late. What kind of numbers you getting with the tower of power?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
81 Varmint 2.5 Mag 3
82 Vandal Merc 85
76 Viper Merc 150
84 Valero

RussF
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

here's another
25g3yhk.jpg
25g3yhk.jpg (289.84 KiB) Viewed 3951 times

RussF
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

and another pic
112a5w2.jpg
112a5w2.jpg (282.56 KiB) Viewed 3951 times

orangecrush
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Glad all turned out okay. I moved heavy equipment for a living always had someone eager to help me load or tie down. i never let any one rush me always doubled check my loads. When i bought the Venus i was in a hurry to get back. i didnt check the front hook and looked in the mirror kept seeing the bow bouncing up and down didnt realize the hook was loose till i got home 120 miles . It was good meeting you at the river run Paul

RussF
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

wow.................. Randy I just read the whole post........glad all worked out for you .............maybe we should get together for breakfast sometime ...and you deserve to gloat you did a great job................. :up:

VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Are those picture from the Lake Geneva WI Wooden Boat Show? Sharp color. Bill

RussF
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

nope Bill there from New Hampshire

transomstand
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

74vector wrote:....this picture. I was at the Scream and Fly CT river run and boy did they click off a PERFECT picture of my 74 Vector/ 74 Merc 1500......
now wanna hear a HORROR story.....??? On the way home from the river run I stopped to see my mom (89) so I slipped the cover on while parked. I needed gas when I left so, I stopped around the corner to fill up. Guy at station went beserk when I started to remove the cover ( I don't trailer with cover on)...so he helped me. The cover loops around the bow eye so, boat has to be unhooked so we did THAT...in the ensuing flood of gas jockey excitement gassing up oil check windshield wash, cover folding etc...... the winch hook never went back ON.
Miles later...tired...in the dark... on the highway...approaching a bridge.... I noticed (MIRACULOUSLY) the bow of the boat flying in the air....HOLY SH&^%T .... I slammed on the brakes coming to a stop just before the lane restriction at the bridge....I got out and looked at the boat sitting nearly VERTICLE, I mean bow sitting HIGH in the air... smelling burning PLASTIC...tractor trailer trucks wizzing by....I ran to the rear expecting a HUGE skid mark of previously perfect Hydrostream bottom and a mostly missing lower unit/prop BUT, unbelievably the boat had just started skidding on the SKEG, the odor was burning paint on the skeg. The skeg was ground perfectly straight to about 3 inches below the bullet, the paint was burnt in a perfect 1/2 inch strip above the grind line...... the prop, well one blade had just a nick, I mean a nick, like you would not notice it unless you really LOOKED nick...that's it. I hooked the bow and winched the boat back on....pulled my pants off and threw my now dirty underwear away. Holy crap another micro-second and the boat would have been off the end of the trailer..poof, gone....
LESSON: ONLY people who know what they are doing should help, DO NOT get distracted when it matters...Don't do stuff TIRED...DOUBLE check EVERYTHING.
Wow, was I lucky it would have been a tragic end to a great day with the scream and fly guys.
As a follow up, I got a blank Merc skeg cut it down to size and had it welded, all is painted and fine, total cost was about $200 bucks, got off EASY, like nothing happened. Ironicly if the boat blew off the trailer at the instant I was crossing that bridge it might have fallen into the river below....the river I live on...just a few miles downstream from the bridge...no kidding.
Randy
You'll find this (getting interupted) a frequent occurence. Almost every time you stop, someone will be overwhelmed by the boat. I have certain "mandatory" procedures for critical items. When I remove a tie down on the road, I NEVER walk away without securing it, even if it has to be resecured several times. When I arrive at the ramp, I always install the drain plug immediately, even if I have to walk away from someone. It may be seen as rude, but I've found no other way of insuring the boat's safety (plus, I'm a miserable **** anyway, so rude is no problem for me). Same thing working on the boat, I insist on doing everything myself. I'll let somebody put the cooler in, but NOTHING operational, I want to put my own hands on everything.
transomstand
Original owner 1975 Ventura II SE

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post