Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

I just bought a 1974 Viper project.

Chat about anything boating or non boating here. Try to keep it clean.

Topic Author
Ken Chaffee
The new guy
The new guy

I just bought a 1974 Viper project.

I'll need information on the floor replacement and suppliers for materials needed. My plan is to use the colors of the 1976 bicentennial when I get that far. Any-one looking at my gallery can see the inside needs extensive work. I am an experienced auto restoration guy but this will be my first boat. I have most of the tools required and a friend you has worked on boats. Any step by step photos would be very helpful.
Chazz

aaron78viper
Regular
Regular

Re: I just bought a 1974 Viper project.

Ken Chaffee wrote:I'll need information on the floor replacement and suppliers for materials needed. My plan is to use the colors of the 1976 bicentennial when I get that far. Any-one looking at my gallery can see the inside needs extensive work. I am an experienced auto restoration guy but this will be my first boat. I have most of the tools required and a friend you has worked on boats. Any step by step photos would be very helpful.
i think express composites is close to you, many people use plywood for lots of builds on floor and stringers. balsa core in the hull, I used cabosil and resin to make radius and as a filler for some things.. if you plan on running a jackplate, you can just delete the splashwell and use balsa core to strengthen it. some use coosa board or nida core for the stringers or transom. I have a thread doing my viper, but im just a rookie. us composites has a good deal on epoxy resin and the glass I chose. used 17oz biaxial +/-45* double bias. works good for lots of stuff, a little thick though. good luck man, and post lots of pics!

Topic Author
Ken Chaffee
The new guy
The new guy

Thanks my plan is a V4 120 Hp motor no jack plate. Mid to upper 60's is as fast as I need to go.
Chazz

aaron78viper
Regular
Regular

Ken Chaffee wrote:Thanks my plan is a V4 120 Hp motor no jack plate. Mid to upper 60's is as fast as I need to go.
that is very similar to my goals, but without a 15 inch mid, I have no way of getting the motor jacked up high enough to surface the prop. maybe I don't need to surface it though.... 120hp will go really good on these hulls. enough to be fun for sure. that is a very similar setup to my plans also. good luck!

Topic Author
Ken Chaffee
The new guy
The new guy

You shouldn't need a 15" mid the transom is 20" unless your plan is to surface drive the motor. Most boats I have owned handled better with the motor at the standard height.
Chazz

aaron78viper
Regular
Regular

Ken Chaffee wrote:You shouldn't need a 15" mid the transom is 20" unless your plan is to surface drive the motor. Most boats I have owned handled better with the motor at the standard height.
that's the plan, looking for the most possible speed

Topic Author
Ken Chaffee
The new guy
The new guy

Make sure and take your time on the bottom work make it as strong as possible. Strength is safe.
Chazz

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post