Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Checkin into Hydrostream

Chat about anything boating or non boating here. Try to keep it clean.

Topic Author
AndyBean
The new guy
The new guy

Checkin into Hydrostream

Looks like a great group here! I've been restoring Carlsons for a while now. I like the looks of the Carlson boats but have been dissapointed in the speeds and handling over 60. Seems like Hydrostreams have a similar look and feel but from what I have read, the handling is much better at the upper speeds.
The "guts" seem similar with all the challenges that go along with Fiberglass and wood combo. I'm hoping to find an 18 or longer Hydrostream to restore!!
Have a couple questions.

Seen lots of Hydrostream resto threads on floor and stringer replacement. Not much on transoms. Almost every Carlson I've come accross needs transom and floor.
Are the Hydrostream transom prone to rot like the floors???

Also partial to Metal Flake. Seems there are a bunch of Metal Flake Streams out there. Did the 70s Hydrostreams come in metal flake or are these resto's.

What are some of the pros/cons of each model 18 foot and up. I'm leaning towards the VKing. By the way, is VKing and Viking the same model? I have seen both advertised.

Thanks
Andy
Andy Bean
Orange County California USA
1977 CVX-16
1986 CVX-18
1968 Glastron GT-16
2006 Malibu 247

Topic Author
AndyBean
The new guy
The new guy

Re: Checkin into Hydrostream

Almost forgot my web site. Check out some of the restorations I have done.
http://www.andysclassicglastrons.com
Andy Bean
1977 CVX-16
1986 CVX-18
1968 Glastron GT-16
2006 Malibu 247

ccrick
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Welcome! Yes the streams are all about top end or "life on the pad" They can even be a handfull if the set up isn't right. Tramsoms still go bad on these too. I felt lucky mine was solid. There's a lot of vkings out there that need a new home! Feel free if you have any ????
Rick. :boating:
1980 Viking
150 Black Max

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

AndyBean wrote:Looks like a great group here! I've been restoring Carlsons for a while now. I like the looks of the Carlson boats but have been dissapointed in the speeds and handling over 60. Seems like Hydrostreams have a similar look and feel but from what I have read, the handling is much better at the upper speeds.
The "guts" seem similar with all the challenges that go along with Fiberglass and wood combo. I'm hoping to find an 18 or longer Hydrostream to restore!!
Have a couple questions.

Seen lots of Hydrostream resto threads on floor and stringer replacement. Not much on transoms. Almost every Carlson I've come accross needs transom and floor.
Are the Hydrostream transom prone to rot like the floors???

Also partial to Metal Flake. Seems there are a bunch of Metal Flake Streams out there. Did the 70s Hydrostreams come in metal flake or are these resto's.

What are some of the pros/cons of each model 18 foot and up. I'm leaning towards the VKing. By the way, is VKing and Viking the same model? I have seen both advertised.

Thanks
Andy
Yes, the vking and viking are the same - http://www.hydrostreamforums.com/vking :up:

I have the vkings bigger brother the Vuture. Its 20' and has so much room in it I could fit 10 and still have room. :D Ok, maybe not that much but there is alot of room.

As for Hydrostreams rotting, I can bet that 95% of the older ones that have never been touched will need a core and transom. It stinks but then again we will do just about anything for our streams. 8-)

As for all the metal flake, That is all hydrostreams doing unless someone shelled out the bucks to get it done. majority of the streams came from the factory with metal flake. Mine was originally red flake but the previous owner painted it white. Its better that way anyways cause red is not on the top of my list for colors to paint my boat.

I say get a vking, You will not regret it. :D
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

kytekeith
Regular
Regular

Welcome Andy!!! Glad to see another streamer. I love the old carlsons also. I recently sold my 79 cvx 16 with the original 115 merc. Of coarse it needed stringers and didn't want to put the effort in for the job. I couldn't go a day without a boat , so the next day I found a 76 vector on craigslist . After the test ride I had to have it. The handling and feel was great. so much different from the carlson. My knowledge is limited on different stream models but i believe most hydrostreams have the floor above the bottom of the wood in the transom which will give water a better chance of getting to and rotting the transom. My vector has the floor below the transom wood and I believe this design help keep my transom from rotting. I think any 20 year old boat that has not been kept in a shelter will need wood replaced.

Surface Scratcher
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Cool website, Andy :up:

Coincidentally, I've had a Flightcraft by Malibu, a Carlson and a Stream.
http://www.hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=172
Both the VegasXT and the CarlsonCVX20 are 20 footers but the Vegas feels like it weighs about half of the Glastron. My CVX 20 was always a sure footed ride, but much slower with about the same power. Hydrostreams have much better weight distribution for speed, the gas tanks are in the rear, and of course they have a notched transom and 'the pad'. If you are like the rest of us, you're gonna love flying low in a pad boat.
Hippie459MN wrote:I say get a vking, You will not regret it. :D
:agree: :agree:

Welcome! ;)

Topic Author
AndyBean
The new guy
The new guy

Anyone have comments about this one. Looks like the heavy lifting has been done already. I was hoping to put a 200 on whatever I got. This one comes with a 150. I'd be interested in seeing the pictures from the work in progress.
Andy
http://richmond.craigslist.org/boa/1426839647.html
Andy Bean
1977 CVX-16
1986 CVX-18
1968 Glastron GT-16
2006 Malibu 247

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thats really pretty. Says its all been redone. If core/transom is new and has motor to boot and you have the cash, I say jump on it. Of course im sure if you show them a stack of the green they could be talked down some. That thing looks really sharp though. :D

I just read you said you were gonna put a 200 on there if you got it, see if you will sell without the motor then im sure you could get the hull for considerably less and then just put your motor of choice (cough 200 rude cough) on there. :up:

:boating:
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

king gill
Regular
Regular

Yea go with a Vking ..... They are tons of fun...and really aint that hard to drive :up:

kytekeith
Regular
Regular

Everything redone. Does that mean floor and core or just interior? 8-) Very nice looking ride. Richmond Va. is a long way from California. If you make a deal on this one and don't want the 150 let mr know . I am looking for a 150. I live 1 hour from Richmond. I could possably swing by and give you an oppinion. Image

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post