Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Viper In Progress

Stop in and introduce yourself and say hello.

Topic Author
Lake Conroe Viper
The new guy
The new guy

Viper In Progress

Hello....
I purchased this mid 70s' Viper 18 months ago and have been piecing it together....transom elbow stringers, jack plate, 2000 merc xr6, newly recovered interior, carpet, and now am looking for thoughts on the placement of the gas tank. Any thoughts on putting the tank under the bow? How about plugging the two-stroke oil intake pump and premixing gas for the xr6? I just glassed in a hot foot this week. It is a slow process but I'm trying to do each step right the first time as I'm new to building these boats. I realized most of you on this sight have years of Hydrostream experience under your skin and I'd certainly appreciate any thoughts and experiences. Thanks
Lake Conroe Viper

silkeysak
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Re: Viper In Progress

Welcome to the forum! These boats are intended to have the fuel tank (along with the battery) at the transom, or close to the rear of the boat. JMO, but runnuing weight in the bow causes handilng issues. Other members would probably agree. Anytime someone puts weight in the front of a Mod VP pad boat, they have problems. As far as the oil pump goes, that's the first thing I disconnect. Premixing means you don't have to rely on a pump that could fail at the wrong time, and cook a motor $$$$.
Last edited by silkeysak on Jul 27, 2011 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
Lake Conroe Viper
The new guy
The new guy

The reason I ask is the stern is getting rather heavy with the 150 on the rear. Any suggestions? What if anything can be redo to off-set the heavy motor?
Lake Conroe Viper

silkeysak
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

The merc you're running shouldn't be too heavy. If you watch (Chet) 77 Viper kicking *** with his Viper/Merc setup you will see what I mean. He may come in to give you a more expert opinion on your setup. Check out the video in the Congratulations Chet topic in the Hydrostream forum lounge!

Topic Author
Lake Conroe Viper
The new guy
The new guy

Will do, THANKS...
Lake Conroe Viper

Rut311969
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

First welcome been to lake conroe love it . Yes stay away from bow tank it well make the boat unstable because of weight shifting side to side 150 should be fine and yes check out Chet Viper it is sweet and boat of the month this month :up:

Topic Author
Lake Conroe Viper
The new guy
The new guy

Damn....Chet's boat definitely moves. THANKS for the insight....
Lake Conroe Viper

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Like they said keep the rank in the rear, minimal setback like 2.5" . If you want you could put the vary up front but It's a pain and not worth it on a lake boat. A 150 with a good setup should see low 80's

Now with a short worning. You need good dual cable steering solid or good motor mounts trim on the wheel and a GOOD life vest preferably one with leg straps. Be carefull these boats can be deadly.

I didn't see you mention doing the core, if you did stringers and transom your core is rotten to. Do not drive it until you know for sure it is all good. If It's bad it will delaminate and the best outcome of that is just the boat sinking it could kill.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Topic Author
Lake Conroe Viper
The new guy
The new guy

The stringers are good. I have trim at the wheel, both motor trim and jack plate. I'll keep the tank in the rear. I am aware of the need for a good vest as well. Thanks for the info.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Lake Conroe Viper

jacklake2003
Regular
Regular

My 1979 Viper came with the tank under the deck sitting on a factory tank platform. Is this unique for '79, or do you guys just modify to put the tank in the back?

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post