Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Excited new member!

Stop in and introduce yourself and say hello.

Topic Author
Lawrence Shadow
The new guy
The new guy

Excited new member!

Hey all... I am excited to say that after a long time searching for a hydrostream I have finally found one that fits my needs and price range. Being broke it's tough to find a cheap boat at the exact moment that the funding is available to buy the boat. I have found a few boats over the last six years and restored them, drove them and sold them. None of which were boats I was excited about. I've always wanted a hydrostream because my dad used to race, build, restore and destroy them. his hobby ended after having three kids.

Anyways, I found a 1977 vector in pretty good shape. I'll need to find a way to restore the shine as it is sun faded. But the boat is solid and the interior is really good looking. You'll see me around here trolling around for tips and posting results. Unfortunately I'll have to just stick an 80 hp motor on her to start... You think I'll even be able get the boat planing with that? Eventually I'll find a deal and get some power.

Be honest and let me know if I got a good deal: $850 for the boat and trailer, like I said the vinyl and everything is great , the boats just got sun faded paint other wise she's solid.

[album]601[/album]

idvette
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Re: Excited new member!

I don't think it's a bad price. Check the site, you'll find a ton of recore threads. Read them all!!! Then check yours. If the core has been done you got a great deal. If not you may have some work to do, but if the 'glass is in decent shape you have a good candidate for a rebuild!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
1988 Canadian Edition Vision Sold
1990 Hydrostream Virage Stage 3 Turbo

hustle
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

That boat came from Hugo mn. Saw it listed on cl. Where In mn are u located?

YDOC462
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

welcome! great site with great info.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
81 vector....complete restore....1991 7 pedal 200 slightly modded
ALWAYS under construction

HYDROSTREAM HELLIONS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHE8wWZsFpw

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nice looking vector. Where in MN are you?

And welcome. Like Cody said, check the core and transom if your not sure if it has been replaced. Prev owner said mine was and the core had been replaced. And boy was it ever. With plywood. lol And my solid transom was soaking wet once I dug into it.

But if you do need to replace em, once its done, Your boat will be twice as solid and last another 30+ years and you will still have the coolest boat on the lake!
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

Topic Author
Lawrence Shadow
The new guy
The new guy

Yep... I'm from Blaine, MN. Right by Brunswick Zone bowling center off 65...

The boat feels solid as hell; very little flex, no stress cracks around the transom area or anywhere else. Not sure about hydrostreams but soaked transoms I've dealt with have usually flexed from the weight of a motor and leave signs on the glass. I banged around the hull and it sounded good with no dead sounding spots. The guy claims to have stored it indoors for the vast majority of its life. And it was indeed in the garage when I looked at it. That being said I haven't dealt with cored hulls before so I'm not sure the best way to check.. If your going to drill some holes do you just use a 1/4" bit?

Anyone else from the blaine area?

Do these things always need a recore or is it possible for an original still being good? Like I said, the cored hull thing is new to me but it doesn't look to be any harder than rebuilds I've done in the past... I would rather avoid a recore if I can though.

Thanks!

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

I live in Crown. About 7 miles straight east of Zimmerman. My sons grandparents actually live right off 65 and 97th ave (Right by the SA) in blaine and my dad is right in Anoka off 10 and 7th ave so I get down that way a bit.

I really hate to be the bearer of bad news but if its an original untouched core, pretty good chance it needs to be replaced. And just cause the transom feels solid doesnt meant its not wet. Mine was soaking wet and it felt very solid. With that being said, do not get discouraged what so ever.

The good thing is, they are not all that hard to do. Its just the grinding of the fiberglass that sucks. The core going back in is actually the fast part. There are a lot of guys that knock out a core job in a matter of days and are back on the water in no time.

You could also look at some other boats like NoBoss Ventura and go coreless (http://www.hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2263). I will be doing this route on my next stream. There are a lot or rebuild topics on here. Take your time and check em out. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

A wet/rotten core can be extremely dangerous. Recore and it will be a lot stronger then then from the factory and good for another 30+ years. :up: All while still having the coolest looking and best running boat on the lake.

Take a look at my resto topic also. Mine is not done yet (Kids, job changes, life... Kinda got in the way for a bit) but plan to be on the water this summer if it ever warms up so I can finish it. Now mind you, someone attempted to repair my core with plywood (big no no) so mine was a HUGE job that I do not ever want to have to do again like that. lol I will take an untouched stream any day over what I had to do. I would have been done with this long ago had it been original. http://www.hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1171
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

Topic Author
Lawrence Shadow
The new guy
The new guy

Thanks for the info! I'm gonna get my dad around to help me check if I need to go that route. He's rebuilt a lot of these things. From what I know they've worked on them with pipkorn and some other guy that my dad tells me designed boats for hydrostream.. He only had a moment to see it but his eyes lit up and he said the hull shape was good? I figure that has to be a good thing... Anyways when he gets some time I'll get him over to look at it with me... We did have breakfast and he went through the entire process of manufacturing the boat (or at least assembly). Pretty interesting because they put them together different than most boats. He did say something about how they used to straighten the hull or something. Not sure if he was suggesting something like that or not... He used to race them so he's already warning me that once I get her up and going that I'll need to be careful not to kill myself.LOL. Oh well... I'll keep posting anything that comes up.. I'm sure I'll have some questions, hopefully I get some chances to have my pa help out as well...

We'll see what happens!!!! :D

VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Welcome and post some pictures as soon as you can. Bill

RussF
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

VultureNo2 wrote:Welcome and post some pictures as soon as you can. Bill
yup we like pictures ................. :o .......and .....WELCOME to the site.......... :up:......oh have I asked you ........do you use ....AOL...maybe your dad does.............. :D

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post