Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

New Member - 77 Viper Project

Stop in and introduce yourself and say hello.

Topic Author
Honker
The new guy
The new guy

New Member - 77 Viper Project

Hi to everyone. I just picked up my first hydrostream, a 1977 Viper II, in need of some TLC. I restored/rebuilt a Glastron GT150 two years ago and loved every minute of the project. It is a great boat but I was getting tired of being schooled by my cousin's hydrostream YT tunnel, so I have been looking for good Viper project hull for awhile. Right now its sitting in the shop waiting for me to have some more time to spend on it. Currently has a bad coat of clear on the deck, but the orginial gel underneath is in great shape. Transom and floor feel solid, but I know the core is going to be wet/rotten since it hasn't already been replaced. The deck has no "aftermarket" holes in it, which was a big plus for me when I looked at the boat originally. I want to bring it back to looking as close to original as possible, but with some hotrod options and increased structural integrity.

I've already been trolling through the viper rebuild threads here and am looking forward to posting some photos once I get the project underway in ernest! LOTS of questions to follow........ :lol:
Last edited by Honker on May 23, 2013 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
1977 Viper II - in need of some TLC
1980 Glastron GT150 - restored 2011

proprider
Regular
Regular

Re: New Member - 78 Viper Project

Welcome! Look forward to following your Viper rebuild start as I try to finish mine.

idvette
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Hey honker, welcome! Where in Ontario are you? I've seen you on at least 1 other site ;) I think you'll like the viper! Congrats on the purchase!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
1988 Canadian Edition Vision Sold
1990 Hydrostream Virage Stage 3 Turbo

VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Welcome. :popcorn: :clap: :up: Bill

YDOC462
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

welcome!! pay close attention to what proprider is doing and you'll be set. :up: :up:
81 vector....complete restore....1991 7 pedal 200 slightly modded
ALWAYS under construction

HYDROSTREAM HELLIONS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHE8wWZsFpw

Topic Author
Honker
The new guy
The new guy

Re: New Member - 77 Viper Project

I'm going to be paying close attention to what anyone else with a Viper is doing!

Over on the Hydrostream History page, there are pics of what is now my boat when it was owned by Louie Chula. Tried post the link but apparently I am "too spammy" for a new user....that's hilarious :lol:

Here are a few pics of the boat.....I'll start posting more in the Restoration section as the project gets underway. Look forward to getting to know everyone here much better.
Attachments
DSCN4379.JPG
DSCN4379.JPG (119.87 KiB) Viewed 5444 times
DSCN4367.JPG
DSCN4367.JPG (122.77 KiB) Viewed 5444 times
DSCN4365.JPG
DSCN4365.JPG (97.47 KiB) Viewed 5444 times

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

Looks like someone has sonics twin!

Love it!
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

Honker wrote:Tried post the link but apparently I am "too spammy" for a new user....that's hilarious :lol:
Should be able to know. Need like 3 or 5 posts before you can post links. Its to prevent any spam bot that would register, post links to spam. That way they cant and they never are successful in making posts.
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

Sonik
Regular
Regular

They keep popping up eh Kevin? What you have there is an apricot gel viper. I had only seen 4 in 6 years prior to yours popping up so that's 5. Not to be the bearer of bad news but I promise u the core is rotten. Search for my boat around here or on S&F and you'll see what I'm talking about. The Viper is a great little hot rod and will run low 80's with a 2.0 liter 150 for power. Any more and you better have a fresh and dry boat, and have spent some time at the helm. I have a warmed up 2.5 200 EFI on mine now and it'll turn a 30ET behind a 1.87 sporty around 7K well into the mid 90's......not for the faint of heart or novice helmsman. Core it, enjoy it, take your time and learn to drive it, buy a good jacket, wear a lanyard, and don't make the mistake of stringing it out without a chase boat because shiz can go wrong real quick and having no backup is a really bad idea. Look forward to seeing your progress.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

1976 Hydrostream Viper - 2.5 EFI

Topic Author
Honker
The new guy
The new guy

Thanks for the advice Sonik, I've been cruising the threads here and over at S&F about these great little boats. I'll make sure to look up your posts. No disappointment about the core, I picked the boat up as a project and knew the core would be rotten. Interesting to know you have only seen 5 of the apricot vipers kicking around. For now the viper is going to take a little rest in the shop for the summer while my cousin and I get into our first race season with his delta.

In the meantime its time to start hitting the books in earnest, gathering information and parts for the winter build. Also have to give some more serious thought to power. Obviously the 70hp Evinrude that came on the boat is not going to stay! Have to keep my eyes open for an appropriate power plant for a rebuild.

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post