Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Mounting Seats

Looking for help with your interior? What better place to ask then here.

Topic Author
jacklake2003
Regular
Regular

Mounting Seats

Hello, does anyone have any good ideas/pictures of their custom seat installations? I'm about to install a pair of folding bucket seats in my Viper and I'm still working on the best way to do it. The seats have 3 pairs of mounting holes (blind nuts) on the bottom.

I'm considering mounting a PT 2x10 to the bottom of each seat, about 12" long. In the boat itself, I was going to mount 2-2X4's on end, running parallel to each other (12" apart), running side to side, to the floor. Once the 2X's are mounted, I can slip the seats in (the seat block between the 2X4's) and secure using screws (front and back) into each end of the seat block. Does that make sense? Any suggestions?

-Chris

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mounting Seats

Please don't put folding fishing boat seats in that viper. Get yourself a nice pair of wrap around buckets or some nice low back buckets.

As for mounting them, I'm sure there are others here with better ideas as I have not got that far on my build yet so I really can't say the best way.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

Topic Author
jacklake2003
Regular
Regular

HaHa, I hear you. They're a little nicer than the standard Wal-Mart ones, but point taken. The following link is the model I bought. The color is different on mine, I went with a grey and blue to match the carpet/vinyl trim.

veada.com/product/22_7-Fishing-Boat-Seats/253--Hi-Back-Centric-Bass-Boat-Seat-Attwood-Framed-Boat-Seats.html

Additionally, the boat is falling pretty far down the priority list. I know thats blasphamy, but with a 14 month old daughter, a hard-working wife, and a job with ever-increasing responsibility, the Viper doesn't get the time or financial dedication it deserves. None the less, I enjoy working on it from time to time and I'm learning a lot. If I ever do it again (restore a boat) the next one will be a little more "all out."

Hippie, please post pics when you get to that stage.
-Chris

Surface Scratcher
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Hey Chris,

Are we talking front or back seats? If front, is the seat box still there? The factory would have just attached the seats right to the box. Btw, it's my understanding that the original seat boxes are a structural component to the boat.

If you're planning to use your 2x4 plan instead of a seat box, the only constructive criticism I might have is that it will be heavier than necessary.

I would use 1x4 (with cross braces) where you said 2x4. Also, I would rip a 2x4 down the middle, and use two pieces of 2x2 to mount to the seats (where you said 2x12).

:up: jmho

Topic Author
jacklake2003
Regular
Regular

Front seats.

Factory seat box is no longer there (nor was it there when I got the boat). I'm about to cut/install the floor, so I wanted to figure this out so I could anchor the seat box to the floor by screwing it from the underside.

Thanks for the advise. I was a little worried about the smaller lumber ripping out (leaning back, hitting waves, etc.) but it would be a lot lighter the way you described. With only a Merc 850 for power, I need all the help I can get, haha.

alaskastreamin
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

I had a set in mine for the first run. They were free.

Got these from Overtons.

This is what the seat (torque) boxes should look like. I drilled 2" holes in the ends to feed a nut in.

After carpeting over the hole, I cut an X to gain acess. The white at the top of the pict is the back of the seat where it sits on the torque box.

Hope this helps.
Ron Pratt
Okanogan, WA
Viper/ 2.5L 200 Merc (SOLD)
1991 "the last" Virage/ 15" 280
2003 9’ Mini Virage/ 15 hp Honda 4-stroke
1989 Voyager/ 300 Promax
1989 HST / 2.5L 200 Merc
http://www.prattcustoms.com

YDOC462
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

I found these at bass pro. glassed a piece of marine ply down to floor. screwed these wise seat mounts down to ply not going through floor ply. attached a swivel mount to bottom of seat. (i didmt want my seat to swivel so I drilled and tapped screws through it locking it in place). The swivel slides and locks into the mounts making the seats removable so work under the dash is more accessable

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Attachments
IIAtW8wYMWHiP4xTeier65U2lp8gdDKIY2kxJO1i12rWWsVeENryPePyEIiUlg_6M4j8AnGrG_5SqkC0WYeGIXjt6j_XT0UWszNc6r_7x-83Vbiv9CCICwSuw9DZugTpY0GM1S2FsD7hEu8i4nVW.jpg
IIAtW8wYMWHiP4xTeier65U2lp8gdDKIY2kxJO1i12rWWsVeENryPePyEIiUlg_6M4j8AnGrG_5SqkC0WYeGIXjt6j_XT0UWszNc6r_7x-83Vbiv9CCICwSuw9DZugTpY0GM1S2FsD7hEu8i4nVW.jpg (1.7 KiB) Viewed 4618 times
file-1.jpg
file-1.jpg (26.58 KiB) Viewed 4618 times
file.jpg
file.jpg (31.08 KiB) Viewed 4618 times
81 vector....complete restore....1991 7 pedal 200 slightly modded
ALWAYS under construction

HYDROSTREAM HELLIONS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHE8wWZsFpw

YDOC462
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

hey alaskastreamin, you got any more pics of the back seat construction. i was thinking of fabrication a bench out of balsa to keep weight down then covering that. the kiddo is the only one prolly sitting there anyway. just curious how you constructed yours.
thnks
cody
81 vector....complete restore....1991 7 pedal 200 slightly modded
ALWAYS under construction

HYDROSTREAM HELLIONS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHE8wWZsFpw

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

I like the fact I'm not the only one that has pictures of my boat hanging sideways. I was starting to think I was odd after hearing non hydrostream boaters saying so after seeing mine.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

alaskastreamin
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Hey Chet,....we're probably the only ones that stopped to take pictures. :up:

Cody, My seats are from Overtons and the rear is just clipped on the torque box with home made clips like on the side panels. My seat frames are roto molded plastic. The back rest was 12" too tall and had to be shortened. I cut out the center of the rear box to save some weight and gain acess to the bilge pump/ storage.

Ron Pratt
Okanogan, WA
Viper/ 2.5L 200 Merc (SOLD)
1991 "the last" Virage/ 15" 280
2003 9’ Mini Virage/ 15 hp Honda 4-stroke
1989 Voyager/ 300 Promax
1989 HST / 2.5L 200 Merc
http://www.prattcustoms.com

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post