Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Carpet Glue

Looking for help with your interior? What better place to ask then here.

dehydrated
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Re: Carpet Glue

Just caught this thread , being a floor covering installer,owner I wouldnt advise putting rubberback carpet in the full spread glue, spot gluing work be sufficient and less of a pain when you go to replace in the future.Personally i would use spray contact glue randomly i piece from stearn to stepdown 1 piece step down to bow remove hotfoot carpet under then reset hotfoot these rubber backed carpets dont seam that great keep changing blades on your knife want it sharp at all times they make a tool called a stair tool blunt edged big bladed for creasing the carpet into corners and for trimming to the edges . If you ever have pulled up rubber back from a house its a pain in the kester if its glued and boat carpet takes a beating just my .02 worth good luck

Topic Author
triumph3434
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Ha, Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I already did the Install a few days ago. Your advice is Right on. I used 3M super 77 on the complicated parts, like the hot foot pad, and the front dip, gas tank holder, etc... Worked Great. Absolutely Great.

Then used the Vinyl Marine Carpet Adhesive on the main floor. The Trowel was hard to use. I found a big paint brush spread it well, then I used the trowel to give the texture. This was the thick stuff. It was a pain, and was hard to use. I suppose if its more waterproof than the super 77 it will be worth it, but it was a big pain.

It is supposedly water cleanup while wet, but it really didn't come up. You get a tiny spot on the carpet, and if you try to wipe it off with warm water, it doesn't work. Just digs in deeper.

Also, in two or three small spots, the glue came up through a hole in the rubber and made little spots on the carpet.

I used Super 77 on all the edges and it held them up great. Going up the sides, the carpet did hold on the carpet adhesive, but it didn't hold tight. It didn't hold the Corners in good like the super 77. I found the Combo worked well. Super 77 on all corners and bends, and the Carpet adhesive on the flat spots. Although the entire time I was wondering why I dont just use Super 77 for the entire thing. I guess my thought is that the Carpet adhesive will hold up better. But who knows. In two years Ill pull at it and update as to which holds up better.

Great advice with the Sharp razor blade. Someone else had mentioned this, but I didn't realize the importance. So to clarify for others, If its not super sharp, it causes the edges to Fray, and fibers start pulling out. I have a pretty nasty seam because of this. You need to change razor blades after every 12 inches of cut you make. Seriously.

Anyways, it looks pretty good, minus one seam where some fibers pulled out. I will try to get the spots of adhesive off the carpet now that its dried. I think it will be easy cuz its just sitting at the top.

My end thoughts are that the Rubber backed carpet sits really good on its own. Im not sure some crazy glue was really all that needed. If the 3M hold up, its the way to go. It doesn't say its waterproof, but I did glue a piece of carpet to a chunk of 2X4 and then let it dry, then dropped it in a bucket of water. I took it out after a few days and it held strong. I think just getting old will break it down faster than the adhesive, but we will see.

Also, I think you might have a point with spot gluing being sufficient. I dont think it needs as much glue as one might think.

Ill post pics in a bit.

dehydrated
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Go to your local floor covering store and ask for some safety solvent or in store get some goof off to get the glue off carpet.sorry i didnt see this sooner but was working nonstop for awhile glad you have it done but ill feel your pain when you go to pull that up ha ha ha it sucks :mrgreen:

Topic Author
triumph3434
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

A Pic
Attachments
IMG_1753.JPG
IMG_1753.JPG (55.95 KiB) Viewed 7351 times

Topic Author
triumph3434
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Update: After a weekend with Lots of water and rain in the boat.... The Marine Vinyl Carpet Adhesive did NOT hold up well. In the places where it stayed wet for a day, it was liquid again, and the carpet just lifts up. The 3M super 77 is not harmed by the water. I think the Carpet adhesive will dry again, but its defiantly not very waterproof. I would recomend just using 3M to anyone.

dehydrated
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

At least when you go to remove it down the road just saturate it with water and it should pull right up .Must of been a latex based glue a true water proof outdoor glue would of never done that its solvent based.

mitchielpricer
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

triumph3434 wrote:So ive read a lot of opinions on carpet glue. I wanted to get all of yours. Ive got the Nice 20oz Rubber backed marine carpet.

Some say use a Spray-On Contact Cement, which sounds easiest. But does it stick well and last well? 3M 77? other Brand in Specific?

Some say use the Marine Latex Carpet adhesive that you spread on with a trowel. However they say its ridiculously hard to work with. Will it really last longer? Look Nicer? Resist water more? Any Brand you have used in specific? How long does it take to "Set up" or "Grab Hold". Some carpet is going vertically up the wall and I wonder how long I will have to hold it there.

I feel like the Carpet Adhesive is the way to go otherwise they wouldn't specifically make it. Although I asked the guy I bought the carpet from and he said everyone just uses a contact cement. What do the new boat manufacturers use when they make em new?

always dry fit first .i just went to the home depo and got ther latex outdoor carpet glue spread on 4in trial let the sides set a little more time
before you press it tite & smooth out the wrinkles, liquid nail works great they have carpet glue in tubes you can clean it up lighter fluid . gary

Any Advice would be great. Thanks again.

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post