Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Maintenance free batteries a no-no

The place for mechanics, racers, or anyone seeking engine-related technical help.

Topic Author
silkeysak
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Maintenance free batteries a no-no

Had a tach problem last weekend that points to a bad rectifier on my Rude 225. After doing some research, I am finding that CDI electronics is very specific about NOT using maitenance free batteries for your outboard. They say that the thinner plates prevent the charging system from getting an accurate amperage reading, causing an overload that blows the rectifier. Further, they say that stators are not really designed to recharge a battery, just maintain a charge, and that your battery should stay on a trickle charger, or be fuuly charged before using, to avoid expensive parts failure. I was not aware of ths, so now I have to not only but a new rectifier, but a new battery and charger as well. I hope this may help someone from learning the hard way, like I have. This problem came up after installing an electric fuel pump, that will drain a battery at idle rpm's. I believe I will change to an interstate marine battery, and get rid of the Autozone marine battery I just bought in the spring.

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post