Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Electric fuel pump question.

The place for mechanics, racers, or anyone seeking engine-related technical help.

S P E E D
Regular
Regular

Re: Electric fuel pump question.

Just read over at SNF that you got a Carter pump and Fuel pressure regulator. YOu got that through Performance Marine through Greg? Lets see some pics and let me know how it goes
1993 Hydrostream Vision aka Project "HydroSCREAM" SOLD
1979 J-Craft Pro Ski SOLD

S P E E D
Regular
Regular

Hey Silkey Fred! I just ordered up this Holley and adjustable regulator...

Holley Kit

I also ordered a Liquid Filled gauge to set pressure. I went with the Blue Holley kits seeing it was 20 bucks more and has a greater Fuel pressure capacity if I ever mod it more or get that V8 GT :D\

Should be in tomorrow...I'll post up some pics

Topic Author
silkeysak
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

I got some jets from Greg, but the carter pump, regulator, and gauge, I got off Ebay. I went with the Carter because it has actual fuel lift capability, and the Holly's are siphon fed, and they recommend mounting the pump lower than the tank. I don't want problems with fuel feed when I'm out. I had a similar problem last time out. My son had to pump the bulb all the way back to the boat ramp. If you look at S&F often, can you tell me why that guy Racer is always highjacking your thread to argue with other people, and insulting you for your decisions. What a tool. He may be great, but I have got misinformation from quite a few "experts". It's your choice on the Holly, but it goes against their recommended install. I'm waiting for the parts and will let you know how it goes (hopefully this weekend). If you are having a fuel flow issue, I know you're aware than this can cause a lean condition that will blow a motor, so be careful. Later, Speed

Topic Author
silkeysak
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

I talked to some people, and found out that Racer is Al Stoker, So I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for referring to him as a tool. His behavior, however is still exactly as I described, but if you're Mr. Stoker, I guess it's ok.

S P E E D
Regular
Regular

Well after I talked to Holley today the first time I explained where I was putting the pump and where the pick up was and they recommended the Holley Blue and regulator kit. After I called back with concerns about "Pulling" he changed his recommendation and said I should run an EFI pump with a minimum pressure of 40 PSI with a Regulator to bring it down to 7 PSI. He said you need a minimum of 40 psi to pull from the tank. I think that isnt right because my Mechanical 10 PSI Carter pump on my Race cars Small block 358 would pull out of my fuel cell way in the back of the car, up through the pick up tube which is mounted exactly like our boat tubes. Oh and through a Fuel filter and up to the Carb.

Anyways I canceled my Holley order this afternoon. What pump and Regulator did you get? What pressure is the pump and regulator? I guess we need an EFI pump something around 40 psi and lower with a Fuel pressure regulator with 0-40 PSI Adjustment.

S P E E D
Regular
Regular

silkeysak wrote:I talked to some people, and found out that Racer is Al Stoker, So I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for referring to him as a tool. His behavior, however is still exactly as I described, but if you're Mr. Stoker, I guess it's ok.
You know even on my local Forum Fast Boats Canada (There is more good helpful people) there are a few guys on there that just pick apart anything you post. Instead of helping ya out they just give you all the attitude and negativity with no help. Every forum has a guys or two like that. It seems like it doesnt matter what you do...there's always a critic online. Some of those guys would even critic Nasa's work, but **** they only got us to the moon :lol:

Topic Author
silkeysak
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Yeah Speed, I am usually looking for confirmation on factory specs or potential problems with whatever I'm trying to do. I am only a recreational enthusiest on a budget. Everything I do cannot be the epitome of racing perfection. I appreciate their help, but I don't like the condescension I get because I don't have a sponsor's budget to foot the bill. I'm on there asking questions in an attempt to avoid the the marina pirates, not get my head taken off. I think we may both be on the right track to solving our problems by getting rid of these old VRO's. Never heard much good about them anyway. Later.

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

As a "marine pirate" I resent that remark silkey :o LOL, but in all honesty at work our shop rate is $119 a hour so I understand where you are coming from. That and I am the only one there that knows oem isn't always the way to go.

I finally got the time to upload pictures of my pump but they turned out like crap. Anyways, my pump is about level with the bottom of the tank and I have never had a issue. I do keep my vent closed so in the heat it might create enough pressure to prime the pump at first but in a year of running I have not had a problem. I use a Holly red unregulated and it runs at 5 psi, I do have my float height set low so I didn't have to run slosh tubes.

The regular fuel pump is on the port side the other pump is for my Methanol.

Wow those pictures suck! but you get the point. I also use a Yamaha 10 micron filter before the pump.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Topic Author
silkeysak
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Not trying to insult the certified mechanics. I need them for lower unit work, to set timing on a dyno, etc. ,so they still get a paycheck off me now and then, but it hurts. I like your setup, but I can't position my aluminum tank that way. Thanks for the time and effort, though, maybe someone else can benefit from it. I like the carbon fiber look on your boat. When I say marina pirates, I'm referring to the guys that don't understand what we're doing, and cater to the mechanically handicapped in an unethical manner. I'm sure you're not one of them. The problem is, when you encounter one you can't get your boat back till you pay the bill. Like the guy in one of Speed's posting's that got charged $2800 for a power pack and fuel pump.

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

I understand where you are coming from, I just thought I would give you some crap.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post