Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Electric fuel pump question.

The place for mechanics, racers, or anyone seeking engine-related technical help.

S P E E D
Regular
Regular

Re: Electric fuel pump question.

Yeah 2800 Bones for a VRO Pump and Power pack. Worst part is they diagnosed a power pack failure because of a Cylinder missfire and changed the power pack and the motor still missfired. Here's your 2800 dollar bills and have a nice day. lol

On a brighter note I got my Carter pump tonight...gonna rig her up and see how she goes tomorrow. Headin to the garage!
1993 Hydrostream Vision aka Project "HydroSCREAM" SOLD
1979 J-Craft Pro Ski SOLD

VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Good info in the post. Thanks. Bill

Topic Author
silkeysak
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

I got the Carter P4594 today. I had been a little concerned about the 1/4 NPT fuel fittings, but these fittings are 3/8 on the outside, and it looks like the 3/8 fuel line will fit perfectly without flow restriction. I think all the fittings I have now must be that size. It looks like install is a snap. Now, if I can just get the pressure regulator and gauge in my hands, I'll be set. I am also going to jump to 74D high speed jets, and see what happens.

Topic Author
silkeysak
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Got out today with the new pump and jets. Throttle response was definitely much better, and I saw about 300 rpm more. Don't know if it was the pump or the jets, but it was a definite improvement. Love the guage. You always know what's going on. Hey Speed If you read this, I have an extra set of 74Ds I can let you have cheap. Let me know.

S P E E D
Regular
Regular

Sounds like that pump cured more then one problem for ya Silkey. I havent had a chance to get to my pump, cottage this weekend ate up all my time. What regulator did you use and is it adjustable?
1993 Hydrostream Vision aka Project "HydroSCREAM" SOLD
1979 J-Craft Pro Ski SOLD

Topic Author
silkeysak
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

I got a ProComp regulator, but with the pump I have, I run it wide open, and after pulling through the filter, it's pushing around 6 lbs, and runs great.

Topic Author
silkeysak
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Just something for you guys to be aware of. When I sit running at idle, I show a slight battery disharge (about 11.5 amps) instead of 12+. I am thinking it might not be a good idea to sit idling for long periods, or it could run down the battery. As soon as the rpm's come up it charges at pretty much the normal rate, but the 4 amps the fuel pump uses is definitely more than my stator can cover at low (850-900) rpm.

coupe
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

77viper wrote:As a "marine pirate" I resent that remark silkey :o LOL, but in all honesty at work our shop rate is $119 a hour so I understand where you are coming from. That and I am the only one there that knows oem isn't always the way to go.

I finally got the time to upload pictures of my pump but they turned out like crap. Anyways, my pump is about level with the bottom of the tank and I have never had a issue. I do keep my vent closed so in the heat it might create enough pressure to prime the pump at first but in a year of running I have not had a problem. I use a Holly red unregulated and it runs at 5 psi, I do have my float height set low so I didn't have to run slosh tubes.

The regular fuel pump is on the port side the other pump is for my Methanol.

Wow those pictures suck! but you get the point. I also use a Yamaha 10 micron filter before the pump.
Chet, sounds like you have had good luck with your pump so far. I'll warn you though, I think most holleys are made over seas now, as I install( used too, not no more) alot of them on streetrods, mild race cars. Holley made good pumps in the past, but in the past 5-7 years quality has declined really bad. Most that I installed failed within 1-3 months running in cars. When I say most...I mean 75% of them. Just wanna throw that out there, cause its easier to call a wrecker in a car than have to paddle a boat back!

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Thanks for the heads up Coupe!
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Topic Author
silkeysak
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Hey 77 Viper, the one pump for the methanol kinda makes me a real pimp. LOL You really got a real drag boat. Congrats on boatof the month, you really deserve it.

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post