Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Electric fuel pump question.

The place for mechanics, racers, or anyone seeking engine-related technical help.

Topic Author
silkeysak
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Electric fuel pump question.

If your running an electric pump, can you help me out? The guys at S&F are telling me to go with the Holly Red, but Holly's install instructions say to mount it below the tank for a siphon feed. That's hard to do on a Viking. Has anybody done it? I see some Carter pumps that don't have this issue, but it seems they have one with a cutoff at 5.75lbs. which seems too low for my looper, and one at 8lbs. which is a little high. I think the recommended pressure is 5-7lbs. Would 8lbs overcome my carburetor floats?

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Re: Electric fuel pump question.

I have a holley red pump unregulated in my viper, I will post a pick tonight. The problem with mounting them high is priming them, I don't have a problem but that could be overcome with a primer bulb.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Topic Author
silkeysak
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Thanks, I appreciate the help. Someone also recommended a Mallory 140 that can mount anywhere. Send pics of that install if possible

fla.viper
Regular
Regular

ive been running discount auto parts eletric fule pump on my merc 250 efi for 3 years with no problems. and i go 12 to 25 miles offshore in to the atlantic ocean fishing. i do carry a spare just incase of failuer. but the one that is on it now has been on there for 3 years. deffenitly need a primer ball to prime it.

Topic Author
silkeysak
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Nice to hear from Daytona! I spent a lot of time there. My dad was a beach life guard in the early 50's. Is any of the boardwalk left? When I was last there 2 yrs. ago, it was nothing like what I remember.
I get your point about the uel pump though. If it pumps, and at the right pressure, it will work.

S P E E D
Regular
Regular

Hey Silkey! when the previous owner of my motor got the motor off SNF it had a Holley Red and an adjustable Aeromotive Fuel Pressur Regulator on the motor.

I cant see why an 8 Psi Carter wouldnt work, Worst case grab a AFPR and take out a pound or two. I have used Carters on some turbo setups and they actually surprised me. We used to always run Walboro 255 pumps, one day I needed a pump quickly and I got a Carter. Did the job perfectly!
1993 Hydrostream Vision aka Project "HydroSCREAM" SOLD
1979 J-Craft Pro Ski SOLD

fla.viper
Regular
Regular

silkeysak wrote:Nice to hear from Daytona! I spent a lot of time there. My dad was a beach life guard in the early 50's. Is any of the boardwalk left? When I was last there 2 yrs. ago, it was nothing like what I remember.
I get your point about the uel pump though. If it pumps, and at the right pressure, it will work.
the board walk has been redeveloped, lots fo shoping and restruants. there is even a bubba gump shrimp.

i left daytona for 2 years do to a motorcycle accident (i hit a wild pig at 65mph crusing the loop). after the accident i couldnt even walk let alone suport myself financaly. i ended up staying with my parents in michigan till i recovered.
when i returned it was a completely strange to me. there is verry limited driveing on the beach now. i dont even go to the board walk cuz its too expensive, even with residental discounts. the pier is run down and there is a big political debate over what to do with it.

to me my money is better spent cruising the intercostal and partying at dissipering island even at $4.00 a gallon (80 gallon tank). there is a much higher class of chicks at the island than the unemployed gutter trash that hangs out at the boardwalk.

one delima i have with my viper.... no cuddy cabin to tag chicks in. there is plenty of room for that in the seabird.

my merc has a vacume powered fule pump. apon preseason inspection i found a vacume leak witch pevented my fule pump from operating at its full potintal.(witch i imedetaly fixed) my fule tank is at least 7 feet from the motor, its a 26 foot boat. my eletric pump is like 3-5 psi. my theory is the eletric pump gets gas to the mechanical (vacume operated) pump where the mechanical pump takes over. i would love to here thoughts on ths theory from somebody more knowlagable on the subject. my merc is a 250 efi 2 stroke.

mike

Topic Author
silkeysak
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Hey Speed, thanks for that info. I guess their was no issue with not mounting it below the tank. Got any pics of the setup?

Topic Author
silkeysak
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

fla. viper, it sickens me that the city commission in Daytona dis mantled the boardwalk to make the property available for big developers. I had my first experience there in the mid 60's, and it was really cool then. If they stop traffic on the beach, I wonder where everybody is going to park.

S P E E D
Regular
Regular

Hey Silkey...how is the pump setup going? I am going to be doing the same as you, I think I my OMC factory pump is on the way out. This weekend I had to pump the fuel ball 4 times in one trip because at WOT the boat would die if I was WOT for 30 secs or more.

I'm going to have a look now at some pump options.
1993 Hydrostream Vision aka Project "HydroSCREAM" SOLD
1979 J-Craft Pro Ski SOLD

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post