Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

please help with power info

The place for mechanics, racers, or anyone seeking engine-related technical help.

Topic Author
almightygimp1
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

please help with power info

Got an 84 viper, have the funds to have it restored and have the funds for a motor, preferably a newer used motor, but can go new. In everyones experience, what should i be looking for, im leaning towards a 200 hp merc, would like to get a 2.5 because of parts availability, looked at some 2.4s that are pretty nice also. My whole deal is im shopping around, and i see optimaxs, promaxs, and such. I dont know what i should get because i believe some of these motors are 3 litres and will be too heavy. Can anyone tell me what i need to be shopping for? im even open to a yamaha, or a rude, i just need to know what i should be looking for weight wise because im new to the performance boat scene, and i dont know alot about these newer outboards. I dont wanna run up on deal and buy a motor that my boat wont hold! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andyhydro
Regular
Regular

Re: please help with power info

Im sure Chet will chime in here. Hes built himself a sweet 1977 viper....very extreme but even if your not looking for the wind to rip out your hair he knows the Viper model inside out! Just cleaned up at a race in Omaha.

Rut311969
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

225 promax in homestead Fl sportmaster gearcase alien cowl 6500$ on craigs they have some sweet outboards at oneoutboard.com at some reasonable prices .
Last edited by Rut311969 on Jul 24, 2011 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RussF
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

a Pro Max 225 is a 2.5 and weights about 375 lbs , a 200 merc will weigh about 420 lbs

Topic Author
almightygimp1
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Rut311969 wrote:225 promax in homestead Fl sportmaster gearcase alien cowl 6500$ on craigs
im liking that, gonna check into it.

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

I'm all about the promax. Has anyone dealt with oneoutboards? The only reason I ask is there are a couple not so up to par shops and for some reason that name rings a bell, but I'm only guessing right now.

I will worn you if you have not had a lot of seat time in a viper a promax will be dangerous and can be deadly. It will be capable of speeds right around the 100mph range. Even a 200 can hurt you bad. You will need GOOD steering, solid motor mounts, hot foot and a good life jacket with leg straps. I suggest doing all of this no mater what motor you use.

I prefer mercury's myself as I know more about modding them, but a good Yamaha or omc will do. I love my 2.4 200, it's lighter than a 2.5 and has taken a lot of nitrous and lived. I do have a steel bore 2.5 that I was going to try but I just haven't been able to kill this one.

My batt is dying I will post more on this tomorrow.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Andyhydro
Regular
Regular

Gonna check out that one outboards site! Chet, this is another opinion request- Hydraulic or double cable steering?

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

Andyhydro wrote:Gonna check out that one outboards site! Chet, this is another opinion request- Hydraulic or double cable steering?
I know what his answer will be and mine is the same. Hydraulic. :up:

When adjusted and set up correctly, the dual cable is a great set up and thats what I will be running for a while but with hydraulic, there is nothing like watching a person take one hand of the wheel at 80+ mph and it drive like a champ. The vulture will be getting upgraded once everything else is done so it might be a year or 2 but hydraulic will find its way to my boat for sure.

Just my .02 cents.
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

Andyhydro
Regular
Regular

Good to know. Appreciate the info!

Topic Author
almightygimp1
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

77viper wrote:I'm all about the promax. Has anyone dealt with oneoutboards? The only reason I ask is there are a couple not so up to par shops and for some reason that name rings a bell, but I'm only guessing right now.

I will worn you if you have not had a lot of seat time in a viper a promax will be dangerous and can be deadly. It will be capable of speeds right around the 100mph range. Even a 200 can hurt you bad. You will need GOOD steering, solid motor mounts, hot foot and a good life jacket with leg straps. I suggest doing all of this no mater what motor you use.

I prefer mercury's myself as I know more about modding them, but a good Yamaha or omc will do. I love my 2.4 200, it's lighter than a 2.5 and has taken a lot of nitrous and lived. I do have a steel bore 2.5 that I was going to try but I just haven't been able to kill this one.

My batt is dying I will post more on this tomorrow.
thanks for the input and the warnings, i know im gonna have to ease into this boat, and it will take some seat time to get used to it, had thought about going with a 150 then moving up, but i dont see the point in going through all the setup twice, seems like wasted money and i know ill want more than a 150 can offer eventually. Do you think a healthy 150 would get 85?

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post